Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cheap Amsterdam Weekend Breaks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    £949? is that business class?.......well i flew with easyjet and stayed here, was pretty cheap i think 50 euros for 3 nights.......lots of cheap places to stay though, and fairly central.......
  • Options
    I went over the summer. Got a flight back with BMI baby, was well cheap. Last time I looked on their site (www.bmibaby.co.uk) they had some really good prices, although they may have gone up now. I'd fly if you're only staying a night, the actually flights only 40 minutes, and at amsterdam you only have to be there an hour before so you can chill in the city before flying home. Maybe try easyjet?

Theres sooooo many hotels too, just do a search on the internet and you should find something which you can book online. On my searches I came across loads, from budget to themed rooms.
    We just went without booking accommodation and turned up at the tourist office (which is right near the train station, which you can get to by getting a well cheap train directly from the airport). But yea, you tell them what your willing to pay and where you want to stay and they book it there and then for you. Amazing service, although you pay a little for them booking for you. But yea, I'm guessing you may want to book before if you're taking him as a surprise so you cna just turn straight up.
    -Theres loads of accommodation sites you can look through, either book it on the sites, or get the details of the hotel and book it independently (some of them accommodation sites have commission as far as i'm aware).

My friend managed to find flights and accommodation for a weekend in december for £120, (flying with bmibaby). So theres good deals out there.

I don't know if you smoke or not, but if you do, or if you just want a coffee i'd DEFINATELY recommend Sensi Seed (upstairs) and Kashmir Lounge (coffeeshops) but wow, decked out really well, cushions on the floors and all that. Even if you don't smoke Kashmir lounge has a bar side as well as the weed- you'll be impressed, really beautiful, big murals, flowers covering the wall, mini tables and low seating.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised when I went after all I heard about the dodgyness and british pissheads taking over the streets, (although we didn't venture out amongst the red light district too much). Theres some really pretty streets and canals to have a wonder about, (a lot of less pretty places too..) but didn't have any trouble. I'd also reccomend using the trams to get about, well cheap and easy.

Have a good time.
  • Options
    On Eurostar - travelling first class with a meal and staying 2 nights in a 4 star central hotel would cost you £582 with this lot

Travelling standard would bring it down to £450

Opodo are doing KLM flights for £74.30 pp
  • Options
    Going Places (at least my local one) has a mini-cruise to Amsterdam for £30...£30!
  • Options
    Amsterdam sucks in my opinion. Full of drunk American frat boys getting stoned and being general dickheads. Plus most Dutch people don't like it either. It's far too expensive and really not worth it.

For a really beautiful Dutch city, go to the Hague. It's got a really nice beach (probably not during winter though), beautiful buildings and the nightlife is a lot better. Either there or Haarlem.
  • Options
    Amsterdam sucks in my opinion. Full of drunk American frat boys getting stoned and being general dickheads.

Yea, there was that. Loads of them about who wouldn't even smile at you because they were the alternative smokers.. not like all the usual tourists.. And the Italians who got a little too paranoid we think, and accused us of steeling their "portfolio" (wallet) and found it in their bag when they actually looked, after almost starting a fight with us.(and i'm a tiny little female!) So yea, it was full of tourists, a lot of stuck up people at the coffeeshops, but if you're with your own people then no worries.

But yea apart from that, had no other trouble. I personally prefered Rotterdam, there were loads of summer things going on, parades etc and the fake beach, the harbor areas cool, but yea, for a short time Amsterdams a cool little place if you explore around a little bit.

Also didn't realise you were in Nott.When we flew with BMI baby, we went to east midlands airport (which is usually pretty hard to find cheap flights for) so yea, its worth a look. If you're only going for a night then it'll be spot on if you can just turn up to East Midlands, no missioning down to London airports and all that.
  • Options
    i went amsterdam this summer, paid £40 with flights on Jet2 and hotel was about £40 for 4 nights, wasnt anything fancy but it was close to city centre, cant complain at those prices. plus amsterdam is fab, but this was a group of lads.

www.expedia.co.uk for hotels is the best advice one can get.
  • Options