Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Another hair color question, yay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So after seeing a commercial, I was thinking. Usually, when I start to see roots (even just the microscopic bit of them) I go die it again. I end up coloring it about once a month. However, this commercial said to me, inbetween colorings, color it with a temporary color. As its less damaging and can cover up those roots and by the time it fades out, then go for the permanant color. What do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    makes sense to me, i suppose it depends upon the condition of your hair and whether your hair die is harsh, i.e. bleach!
    swarkoff (sorry, not sure on the spelling) now do these:
    http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1063481&classificationid=1022784&slmRefer=000
    Thanks. I'll look for soemthing similar. I don't believe there is bleach. I go for copper red. However, for reasons still unknown to me, my hair is nasty. Real bad and gross and the last thing I need is more damageing things (hence why i die my hair... i'm a genius :p)
    do u die it at home, or at a salon?? only i had very dry brittle hair, which was bad with my naturally fine hair anyway, and i got the underneath dyed a reddy/brown, but bcos it was done at a hairdressers it had conditioner in it which was released gradually+it made alot of difference!!!
    me=poor, so I do it at home. This is going to sound very odd, but when it comes to coloring I've had the best of luck with at home things. I've gotten my hair died at my salon before (and yes, they are a good place with names and all that fun stuff :p) and it faded so quickly, my hair would not take their coloring! Only a small percentage of why my hair is so dry and brittle and fally outy is because of the coloring supposidly, i'm just a sickly girl, but i dont want to bring more damage to it.
    As I've never seen the root touch up (though I wish I had) I will probably try the temporary. Do you think when the temp starts fading, or when i color it initally, it will react with the color already in it and fuck it up? I like copper, but not orange :p
    Thanks so much, your helpful too :)
    oh oh oh, and how does temporary hair color work with chlorine?
    ive never had any problems with temporary effects and chlorine, i think that's only with bleach (as in, it turning green). check the box though.
    you can buy the root touch up in boots and superdrugs, amongst other places like chemists.
    i get what you mean bout being sickly. in the past ive been on steroids which made my hair so limp+crap, its only just starting to recover!!
    Im not sure about how a temp colour will react with colour already on your hair. when ive died mine in the past its just been a slightly different shade to what it says on the box (but then i always find they're slightly different on me anyway), and maybe had a multi tonal effect - which i thought looked good!!
    my_name wrote:
    This is going to sound very odd, but when it comes to coloring I've had the best of luck with at home things.

mine too. hairdressers have always ballsed up my colour. so now i do it.

temporary colour is all well and good, but you can have difficulty dying permanent colours over it. especially if you ever want to go lighter - you'll probably have to wait for it to grow out. if you'll always have the same colour though, it's not an issue.
    So you mean like the permant won't take as nicely and will fade quicker with the temporary under it? Or ido you mean its just a bit more difficult if you wanted to do it lighter. Thanks
    my_name wrote:
    So you mean like the permant won't take as nicely and will fade quicker with the temporary under it? Or ido you mean its just a bit more difficult if you wanted to do it lighter. Thanks

you know when you were a kid, and you used to scribble with wax crayons on paper, and then when you painted it, the wax would resist the paint? i found it a lot like that.

i tried to dye blonde permanent over temp red, and i came out with only very slightly lighter red lengths, but bright blonde roots.