Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Royal mail jobs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how do you go about finding a job with the royal mail like a pacel sorter
i mean i have seen the chanel 4 prog lol but their website the job page is
crap.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I worked for them over one christmas, ages ago now, it was alright work, dull though, I'm not sure its something I would choose again, there are better no skill jobs out there.

Either contact them or look around for job adverts, they are trying to cut down their workforce, not increase it.
    That sounds like it was fun!

The pay wasnt bad though when I did it, but it was night shift which meant I didnt see the sun at all for about 3 weeks and went a bit odd.
    Why don't you try temping for them this christmas and see if you like it?
    i was offered it last time but had other things to do so mayby
    bongbudda wrote:
    That sounds like it was fun!

The pay wasnt bad though when I did it, but it was night shift which meant I didnt see the sun at all for about 3 weeks and went a bit odd.

I worked nights too, and went a bit peculier.

And it wasn't fun at all. My new job is much better.

But bong is right: there are much better no-skill jobs.
    royal mail jobs

could someone tell me what the assessments/interviews are like for royal mail? i have one this week
    i know this tread is old but i just want to ask a question. today i had my induction with royal mail and the guy told me their is another test i have to past at the end of the 3rd week something like sorting 500 (letters, parcels) in 25 min
    if you get belowe then they tell u to go. For u people who have worked for RM is
    that possible i mean 500 seems alot.
    There wasnt any of that type of thing when I did it, we just milled about and worked at our own pace.

A parcel doesnt take long to sort though, they have the baskets all laid out infront of you, all you need to do is throw it (yes, throw) into the right post code bag.
    a little card thing came through my letter box saying the royal mail were now recruiting for the christmas period so i went to their website, filled in the form and then got an information pack saying where and when my induction was. not too sure i'm going to bother because i don't fancy doing a few weeks of nights (not sure how many weeks they need people for or whether you can work as little or much of that time as you want) as well as doing the weekend job i already have. plus i'll have uni work to do. so i'll just be skint instead. but..at least i won't be like a zombie with a sore back!
    You dont do much heavy lifting.

The pay isnt that bad, or it wasnt when I did it, its relatively crap but not dire.
    well it works out 3 every second which seems alot i might just do the christmas
    work instead as they have no test.

and i used work in this warehouse for a year and the the stuff i had to carry
    (not push) was far more heavier then RM never had a problem with my back
    simply because i never rush it as long as its done the right way.
    One every three seconds sounds a lot, but once you have learnt where the holes are it becomes easy.
    yeh thats what the manager said ' just remember where every location is '
    its just a pity u only get one pop at it or your out. i think its just the big mail centres that do this it takes 3secs to read the postcode and the town but at least i get some pratice.
    One every three seconds sounds a bit quick, but three seconds is quite a long time.

It was slightly different for me, I sorted the mail with a keyboard not by hand, but I was sorting on average one letter every two secondsor so.

gladiator, are you working as an MDEC keyer? I was one of those, I quite quickly got to a speed of 1100 an hour.
    I never did any of this keyboard business, I was either infront of a set of hanging bags which I had to throw parcels in or I was infront of a set of pigeon holes where I had to shove letters.
    no i am working as a sorter althogh they have said once u pass the test u can
    work anywhere don't even have to do sorting although the more u
    do in front of those frames it does become easiar
    let me write that again just woke up. basically i am sorting letters in
    front of this frame of 50 i think and i am geting used to it so mayby
    300-400 in that time can be done. but if i pass then i could not even be doing sorting which can get boring good thing it is part time