Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Strange question about Olbas Oil

I've had a cold on & off for about a month now and used some olbas oil to help me breathe more easily. However, whenever I've used it, my eyes have watered. Anyone know why? (And I'm not putting the itssue with the oil on anywhere near my eyes)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've only got to stand in the same room as an open bottle for it to make my eyes water.
  • Options
    It's basically a volatile substance that evaporates at low temperature. It works by unblocking the snot in your nose. But presumably your eyes don't like it.

You can close your eyes when you're waving it around near your nose. See if that helps.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    They say you could sprinkle some on your pillow or chest before going to bed, so you'll be breathing it through the night.
    On your question, it makes my eyes water too, but not much to be annoying. Closing them helps anyhow.
  • Options
    Or wear swimming goggles.

Personally it doesn't affect my eyes and so I think it's wonderful stuff.
  • Options
    That stuff always gives me a massive headache and makes me feel ten times worse. I guess not everyone is suited to it!
  • Options
    its too strong for you, use less or stop using it, try vicks instead its alot milder. i assume u use it by adding it to boiling water and breathing it in?
  • Options
    Iluv2party wrote:
    its too strong for you, use less or stop using it, try vicks instead its alot milder. i assume u use it by adding it to boiling water and breathing it in?

No I don't use it that way. I've put it on to some tissue and breathed it in that way.
  • Options
    I think you can dilute Olbas down, but this has two negatives -

1) The solvent in it doesn't evaporate as quickly
    2) The active ingredient dissolves partly in the water

i.e. they both lessen the effect that you are looking for to unblock your nose!

Think its similar to that thing with onions - theres a chemical in there that irritates your sclera (lining of eyeball) and your tear duct waters your eye as a natural reaction to remove the irritation. There is a vicks on the market for children, or try Karvol - that's a decongestant you put on your pillow overnight, also aimed at children, so it will be milder.
  • Options
    I've had a cold on & off for about a month now and used some olbas oil to help me breathe more easily. However, whenever I've used it, my eyes have watered. Anyone know why? (And I'm not putting the itssue with the oil on anywhere near my eyes)
    Cos it is very very strong shit.