Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Arsenal Penalty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
When Ajax did this a few years ago, it was new and innovative.

So, why is it that I thought that Pires/Henry was just arrogant when they tries it? Even though it was against Shitty, I still thought it was disrespectful...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It made them look like utter fools, that's for sure :D
    It's no better or no worse than any other penalty tactic, John Aldridge's penalties always used to infuriate the hell out of me for the same reason.

If it hadn't been Arsenal you wouldn't have thought anything of it.

I did think it was hilarious though.
    It might have been arrogant if they had tried it for the first penalty, but not for the second.....

It was just stupid.......
    Although I'm laughing about it now I would have been rather agrieved had Citeh's (seemingly valid) equaliser have stood.

I don't think they were trying to be disrespectful, arrogant definitely, but not disrespectful. Henry has taken "cheeky" penalties against bigger opposition before in more important games.

The apparent back story behind it was they do it in training and have been wanting to do it in a game for a while now.........despite the ever wise and ever great Dennis Bergkamp's objections.

Laurel and Hardy both deserve club fines imho but the embarassment is probably punishment enough.
    Yeah i don't think there was any disrespect meant by it, just a stupid decision. But like Braineater says if there goal would of stood it would of been very costly for us.

Laughing at it now though, comedy!
    Okay, if it wasn't disrespectful, answer this. Would they have tried it against United, Chelsea, Milan, Madrid or Juventus? Would they have done it in a European Champions League Final?

Of course not.

Of course the fact that it was Arsenal makes a difference to me, more because I often can see their arrogance. The penalty just underlined it for me...
    Re:Arsenal penalty

Hello Dude,
    It is really shocking :shocking: to watch that penalty. I think Henry and Pierce are trying some thing innovative. Although there innovation does not cost arsenal any thing but they must take care of these things in future. Arsenal is already struggling in premearship and any further slip will be a disaster.
    Patrick
    Okay, if it wasn't disrespectful, answer this. Would they have tried it against United, Chelsea, Milan, Madrid or Juventus? Would they have done it in a European Champions League Final?

Of course not.

I actually think they would have. As I've said they've done "cheeky" things in big games before, Henry's quick free kick against Chelsea last season comes to mind, and the last minute penalty to win the game against Newcastle the unbeaten season where Henry chipped the ball down the middle, I'm pretty sure he's done something similar in the Champions League to win a game.

If it's pulled off it's the greatest thing ever, if it isn't then they look like dunces. I'm sure they'll be saving the fancy stuff for games where we have secured a lead from now on.
    As Jose Mourinho pointed out, they get that many penalties in a season that they probably got fed up and had to try something a bit different!!!! Of course it's a bit disrespectful, , but so are a lot of things that go on in football nowadays.
    It's a bit disrespectful, and you can guarantee the bottlers wouldn't try it in a big game, namely because neither ever seems to turn up unless they're playing Villa or someone.

Mourinho's comments were hilarious. Though I'm a bit sceptical about his claim that Chelsea get so few penalties that they have to bang them in when they get them.
    addicted7 wrote:
    you can guarantee the bottlers wouldn't try it in a big game, namely because neither ever seems to turn up unless they're playing Villa or someone.

:lol:

So true...