Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Buying Decks...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK, so I'm thinking that maybe I want some decks for Xmas. I know it's early, but my Dad is pestering me for some ideas!

I've never mixed before, but always been dying to learn. Anyone know where I should go for 'beginner' decks, or at least decent decks?

Cheers! :D

ETA - just been looking on Sapphire's website, looking at beginner DJ packages... are these worth it, or am I better buying seperately?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I got my decks in July but i spent ages looking and researching what was good and what wasn't.

I got some Numark TT-200's and a Numark mixer and its perfect for what i want.

Depends on how much your dad is willing to spend. You gotta pay for the quality and make sure you get DIRECT drive decks. Everyone says buy Technics - which are like the best decks you can get but if you just wanna learn etc go for something a little cheaper.

I also looked at these "packages" you can get but decided to buy separetely, normally these packages come with good decks but a shit mixer.

But upgrading a new mixer won't be as costly as upgrading decks.

Alot to take into consideration. What kinda stuff you wanna play?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Just get some cheap direct drives if you want to learn.
    Weekender Offender 
    Well I just put the idea to him, and he's not having it. But he will. :D

How much did you spend? I'm looking at £200-300. I thought buying seperately would be better to be honest, in general packages of anything usually come with their problems.

Looking at playing a bit of everything... cheese, house, trance etc etc. Just desperate to learn and have been for yonks!
    Don't get cd decks, or belt drives imo. Belt drive decks have a reputation for going out of sync. Be prepared to spend a fortune on Vinyl, a dj i know has spent up to £500 on a single vinyl. I'm after picking myself up a set at some point, but the setup cost is pretty expensive.

http://www.recess.co.uk/start.html - Fantastic site for info about mixing.

I've heard good things about MK2s. Technics etc.
    £500 on one bit of vinyl! What the hell was it!

Yeah recess is a very good site, lots of good advice and tips on it.

Juno.co.uk is a very good online vinyl store as well.
    Hi :wave:

I got a set of Numarks (can't remember the spec) back in feb, they're great, but I wish I had had more of a chance to have a mess about on someone elses first, I've really outgrownt the Numarks and wish now that I had splashed out on a pair of shiny Technics, but my logic was that if I didn't like it or was crap at it then it wouldn't matter too much.

If you can have a go on someone elses then please do, and remember: VINYL COLLECTING IS A VERY EXPENSIVE AND ADDICTIVE HABIT (Especially when you are into rare northern soul cuts, jazz funk and latin like me!)!!!!! :yes:
    your dad spends a lot on you for christmas. :o
    How much did you spend? I'm looking at £200-300.
    your dad spends a lot on you for christmas. :o

I don't think so, not necessarily. I wouldn't get anything else at all. Just decks and the stuff for them. In the past he would easily spend that much on lots of bits and bobs for me.

Anyway, they need to be affordable as I still haven't persuaded him... so it looks like I may have to save my own pennies!