Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Give the buggers a taste of their own medicine

Story

Now that's a good idea. Show the buggers how crappy it feels to be on the receiving end of their wanko behaviour and it gets them into shape. Good thinking all round.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think anything like this that makes people feel more empowered and in control of their local community is a good thing.
  • Options
    Things like this and community service are often seen as the 'soft option' but they are in many many cases far more effective than prison ever can be.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Things like this and community service are often seen as the 'soft option' but they are in many many cases far more effective than prison ever can be.

I've noticed your scepticism of the prison system and at risk of taking things slightly off topic; I was having a discussion with a friend yesterday about the justice system and how prison couldn't really be working as an effective deterrent because crimes still continue to occur with pretty much the same intensity from year to year. He wasn't entirely convinced but we couldn't really come up with an alternative for the more serious of crimes; rape, murder etc. Was just wondering what you're thoughts were really?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Yeah, it's a good thing.

Show them what the fuck it feels like. Then they'd stop it.
  • Options
    Prisoners who are a risk to the rest of society or who have committed really serious crimes should be put in prison, i.e cases of serious assualt or murder.

But, for things like theft prison is for most totally counter productive, they sit about and dont learn much (except the wrong things from cell mates).

So either we need to drasticly alter what prisoners do in prison, or we need them to not be there.

Closely monitored and tagged people (with the tagging run properly and not by some commercial company which balls it up) who do community service are cheaper and they put back to society.

And sexual offenders should be treated under the mental health act after trial and kept in secure mental hospitals untill deemed safe to release.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Prisoners who are a risk to the rest of society or who have committed really serious crimes should be put in prison, i.e cases of serious assualt or murder.

But, for things like theft prison is for most totally counter productive, they sit about and dont learn much (except the wrong things from cell mates).

So either we need to drasticly alter what prisoners do in prison, or we need them to not be there.

Closely monitored and tagged people (with the tagging run properly and not by some commercial company which balls it up) who do community service are cheaper and they put back to society.

And sexual offenders should be treated under the mental health act after trial and kept in secure mental hospitals untill deemed safe to release.

We were thinking along the same lines for education while in prison to give them a useful set of skills or knowledge base and community service so that rather than being a drain they're actually contributing.

Just out of interest, would you sanction people who had committed premeditated murder for example or is that something you think should be reserved for sexual offenders only?
  • Options
    Just out of interest, would you sanction people who had committed premeditated murder for example or is that something you think should be reserved for sexual offenders only?

There are certain situations where it would be appropriate, but on the whole I think the nature of sexual crimes is quite different from other sorts and therefore needs to be dealt with differently.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Yeah, it's a good thing.

Show them what the fuck it feels like. Then they'd stop it.

So working behind a bar is going to stop people getting drunk, lairy and fighting? I doubt it - they enjoy it too much. I know I did, and there's plenty of people who were/are far worse than me in that regard.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I used to work behind a bar and it never stopped me getting on the piss and fighting.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Without a doubt.
  • Options
    well i thought the whole making a drunk work behind a bar was quite a good thing, make them realise how stupid they can be at times
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    well i thought the whole making a drunk work behind a bar was quite a good thing, make them realise how stupid they can be at times

That's exactly what I thought and that's what the woman put to work behind the bar said. It made her feel bad being on the receiving end of drunken twats that she realised that she too was like that. Good on her I say.
  • Options
    I'm a bar worker, and i'm not going to have any sudden changes of heart about my drinking habits based on the actions of other drinkers.

Putting criminals behind a bar - with access to a till full of money, spirits, etc. What a brilliant idea.
  • Options
    Doofay wrote:
    I'm a bar worker, and i'm not going to have any sudden changes of heart about my drinking habits based on the actions of other drinkers.

Putting criminals behind a bar - with access to a till full of money, spirits, etc. What a brilliant idea.

But surely in your capacity as barman, you must have seen a fair amount of drunken twats. I'm not saying that it has changed your drinking habits, but it may well have moulded them in the first place.