Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

uni entries and leniance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I'm looking to apply to start a degree on fashion marketing and communication next year and i was wondering how strict the entrance requirements for uni applications are.
The course requirements state gcse english, and 280 ucas points.
now i can get 280 ucas points but firstly these points would be coming from a computer course not a marketing or fashion course and secondly i dont have english at gcse (only grade D) but i do have key skills communication at level 3 (which is equivalent to an A level).

Any idea if i still stand a chance of getting on or should i just look for something else?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You need to talk to your uni. If they require specific qualifications AND specific standards then if you don't have them you won't get on. End of.
  • Options
    i would think the GCSE english would be a requirement. they wouldn't state is as such if you didn't really need it. you might be able to negotiate the rest, as they haven't specified A level subjects. have you considered resitting it? higher education/employment comes much easier if you've got english and maths under your belt.

you'll have to bear in mind that fashion courses are usually very competitive, so the first people they'll chuck out are the people who don't meet the requirements, cause usually they'll already have so many applicants who do. it's harsh, but that's the way the world works.

anyway, best thing to do is ring the admissions person, and have a chat to them :)
  • Options
    if the points have to come from specific subjects it usually says... does it say anything about preferred subjects at A-Level? if not then i guess you wouldn't specifically need to have done a fashion or marketing course although obviously experience and the like will help your application, particularly if you don't have the requirements.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking to apply to start a degree on fashion marketing and communication next year and i was wondering how strict the entrance requirements for uni applications are.
    The course requirements state gcse english, and 280 ucas points.
    now i can get 280 ucas points but firstly these points would be coming from a computer course not a marketing or fashion course and secondly i dont have english at gcse (only grade D) but i do have key skills communication at level 3 (which is equivalent to an A level).

Any idea if i still stand a chance of getting on or should i just look for something else?

not to sound mean but you should done a english resit whilst at college, thats what my college done
  • Options
    not to sound mean but you should done a english resit whilst at college, thats what my college done
    Yeah, I can tell ;)
  • Options

At school i didnt get a grade C in neither maths nor english so i spent my time at college retaking my maths gcse, it's too late to get onto an english course now as i've already spoken to the admissions people at college about that.

The course requirements do not actually state that the points have to come from a relevant subject but it does say general studies is not accepted (does this mean the points do have to come from a relevant subject?)

I have a year and a halfs work experience in fashion design and merchandising as well as two years work experience with web design if this is likely to help me at all?
  • Options
    if it says general studies isnt accepted it means the A-Level subject General Studies isn't accepted. im sure the work experience will help you, however as it's specifically asking for gcse english, give them a ring and talk to them. if it's a popular course you'll find it harder to get onto it without it.
  • Options
    Good advice, thanks ~:)
  • Options
    It means that the course "General Studies" is excepted from your UCAS total.

I think kaff gave the best advice, you don't know if you don't ask. But I would state that without GCSE English to that standard you are at an immense disadvantage in many areas, especially when it comes to getting a job at the end of it.