Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Nus!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just a quick rant...

Today was a fancy dress party down at my students union, and i got all ready, dressed, etc... in a pretty nice 'full on' hippy costume.... Then what hapens when i try to go in????? even after paying for the ticket??? THEY WOULDNT LET ME IN BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE AN NUS CARD :impissed: .

:mad: tried showing my enrolement card, drivers licence, even my on campus room keys.... but they wouldnt have it, all because i refuse to take part in the utter utter rubbish that is the 'national students union'!

Thanks to this, ive had to miss the one party i was really looking forward to and ill have to get an NUS card tomorow.

:banghead: i should boycot this rubbish and just goto the local pub / clubs which are only about 5p more a pint.

Rant Over
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they're probably told not to let anyone in without an NUS card, and i assume it will have said so on the ticket.

they could've let you in with an enrolment card, i'm sure..but like i say they're just doing their jobs. there will be other parties!
    nus sucks anyway, my university's union will probably leave it this year hopefully :D
    Well, if you refuse to
    take part in the utter utter rubbish that is the 'national students union'!

then they have every right not to let you into the student union. It is for members of the National Union of Students, so it seems pretty fair and straightforward to me.
    most uni's have automatic nus membership, mines on mine somewhere but most places dont believe me :(

and only people who 'take part' in runnign the NUS are career politican wannabes :(
    The NUS is a complete farce who are in bed with whichever 'hip' company chooses to sponsor their evens for the week and who fix prices with suppliers to the Unions of the member universities.

In short - the NUS has become the very thing it started out fighting against - a group trying to seduce students into financial servitude with meaningless discounts and 'cool' sponsorship.

I wish every Uni took Southampton and UCL's lead and disaffiliated themselves.
    HippieDude wrote:
    Just a quick rant...

Today was a fancy dress party down at my students union, and i got all ready, dressed, etc... in a pretty nice 'full on' hippy costume.... Then what hapens when i try to go in????? even after paying for the ticket??? THEY WOULDNT LET ME IN BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE AN NUS CARD :impissed: .

:mad: tried showing my enrolement card, drivers licence, even my on campus room keys.... but they wouldnt have it, all because i refuse to take part in the utter utter rubbish that is the 'national students union'!

Thanks to this, ive had to miss the one party i was really looking forward to and ill have to get an NUS card tomorow.

:banghead: i should boycot this rubbish and just goto the local pub / clubs which are only about 5p more a pint.

Rant Over

What bollocks are you talking?!

The NUS organised something for their members with their time and money and you are complaining that because you are not part of the NUS you cannot go?

You haven't got a leg to stand on. You either reap benefits of that sort of stuff by joining NUS or you don't join and can't enjoy the benefits.
    my college are part of the nus but it gets us students discounts in shops so that's fine by me.
    my college are part of the nus but it gets us students discounts in shops so that's fine by me.

Techincally if it's a student discount on offer - any student id should be fine - you would only need an NUS card if it's specifically an NUS discount.
    loftx2 wrote:
    Techincally if it's a student discount on offer - any student id should be fine - you would only need an NUS card if it's specifically an NUS discount.

Yeah thats what my college ID is like... we are part of the NUS but we don't have our official NUS numbers or anything like that.... it says NUS on the back of our ID card, but I've never been asked to show that. Bloody thing. :D Means I get 10% off my dinner though....
    My library card has got NUS on it, but it's really annoying that places like HMV won't accept that as NUS. So instead of being able to just use my library card I have to fork out £10 now for the pleasure of having another card which is only needed for a handful of places.

Still don't get why we are actually charged for NUS cards...1st year we got them free, 2nd year they were £2 and this year they've gone up to £10...it's a complete and utter rip off.
    Kazbo wrote:
    My library card has got NUS on it, but it's really annoying that places like HMV won't accept that as NUS. So instead of being able to just use my library card I have to fork out £10 now for the pleasure of having another card which is only needed for a handful of places.

Our university is the same. You can't any student deals without them. Tried to get an Orange Student contract last month but they refused to accept my university id as proof of being a student.
    im confused. i have never been asked to pay for my nus card.
    i paid £7 for mine.
    at my uni last yr, my student card (for the library etc) was an nus one too... so it was free. at my uni this yr (different one) we got two cards, a library one and an nus one, both were free. maybe it just depends where you go....
    the NUS now charge for the cards, and some student unions have decided not to pay + pass the cost onto students
    If you don't want to join the students union then you can't moan when the students union won't let you in.

Not all university students unions are affiliated with the NUS, such as Sunderland, but in most places you join the NUS when you join the uni students union, as they are affiliated.

I never had any trouble with my Durham DUS card, and that was their own card not an NUS one. If it says NUS on it then it shows you are a member of the NUS, and shops that get arsey you should lay down the law to.
    I got one of those NUS cards and then lost it somewhere, I never needed it to go to the bar, and that was about as far as my student union went anyway.
    The NUS is a complete farce who are in bed with whichever 'hip' company chooses to sponsor their evens for the week and who fix prices with suppliers to the Unions of the member universities.

In short - the NUS has become the very thing it started out fighting against - a group trying to seduce students into financial servitude with meaningless discounts and 'cool' sponsorship.

I wish every Uni took Southampton and UCL's lead and disaffiliated themselves.

The problem goes far deeper than the NUS. Individual Students' Union can be even worse as is the case with the Lampeter Union and individual students themselves.

The problem goes far deeper than the NUS. Individual Students' Union can be even worse as is the case with the Lampeter Union and individual students themselves.

Yes but affiliated unions aren't allowed that much freedom by the NUS. They are forced to buy from pre-approved suppliers and have to charge what the NUS say they have to charge.

Unaffiliated Unions are free to hop into bed with whomever they choose. I don't think most students actually give a damn about whether their union is affiliated or not it's just that there was a massive debate in Bristol 2 years ago about whether we should remove ourselves from it or not. The motion passed but wasn't seconded so we're still there as one of the founding members.

WAIT HEY!?!?! How come every time I strike up conversation with someone who sounds vaguely interesting, they get banned? What did NeoConservative do to piss people off so much?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I didn't pay for my NUS card this year ...

This is the first year I have come across NUS as Edinburgh Uni aren't part of it. They had their own union and the likes. It worked really well.
    Yes but affiliated unions aren't allowed that much freedom by the NUS. They are forced to buy from pre-approved suppliers and have to charge what the NUS say they have to charge.

Unaffiliated Unions are free to hop into bed with whomever they choose. I don't think most students actually give a damn about whether their union is affiliated or not it's just that there was a massive debate in Bristol 2 years ago about whether we should remove ourselves from it or not. The motion passed but wasn't seconded so we're still there as one of the founding members.

WAIT HEY!?!?! How come every time I strike up conversation with someone who sounds vaguely interesting, they get banned? What did NeoConservative do to piss people off so much?

A case of mistaken identity. I have no big problem with it, afterall we're only human. And you seem to under-estimated the automony of individual Student Unions in managing it own affairs as I know from sitting on the Union Council at my previous university.