Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is dance music dead

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I don't like hardcore post 93. Although I have a soft spot for The Bug, Shitmat, Venetian Snares, Bong-Ra etc.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, I don't like hardcore post 93. Although I have a soft spot for The Bug, Shitmat, Venetian Snares, Bong-Ra etc.

I think 94/95 was the golden era in hardcore evolution - when the breakbeat and kickdrum sounds existed as one, and when it had started to break away from jungle.

It may not be as dark as you like but it's hardly what you can call cheesey.

Do you like this sort of stuff more? Ellis Dee & Robbie Dee
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    That aint cheese. Care to put up a 'hardcore mix'?

I wouldnt call it hardcore but i wouldnt call it cheese either...

This is cheese

Can't really find any hardcore mixes online so um.. shoutcast?

what you have is old skool :D
  • Options
    You can't just label something 'old skool'. It could be old skool house, old skool hip hop, old skool whatever you like.

That first mix I posted is hardcore.
    The 2nd mix is a jungle mix.

What's being played in clubs now is a hybrid of hardcore and hard trance and the stuff being played between 96 and 2000 you could coutn as 'happy hardcore'.

Sub genres and styles flying all over the shop.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I think 94/95 was the golden era in hardcore evolution - when the breakbeat and kickdrum sounds existed as one, and when it had started to break away from jungle.

I think it was a terrible time for hardcore because it went a different way from jungle.
    Skive wrote:
    It may not be as dark as you like but it's hardly what you can call cheesey.

Pre-set synth stabs and chipmunk vocals are the epitome of cheese IMO.
    Skive wrote:
    Do you like this sort of stuff more? Ellis Dee & Robbie Dee

I don't know, it won't download. Tbh, I'd rather listen to Derrick Carter.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You can't just label something 'old skool'. It could be old skool house, old skool hip hop, old skool whatever you like.

ok then, well personally i'd say its old skool hardcore because it sounds a lot like the sort of mixes heard by people like carl cox or slipmatt back in 92.
    It wouldnt be classed as hardcore by todays standards however which seems to be an upbeat nu-energy hybrid.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think it was a terrible time for hardcore because it went a different way from jungle.

It evolved into light and dark - if it didn't go a different way would it not still be jungle?
    Blagsta wrote:
    Pre-set synth stabs and chipmunk vocals are the epitome of cheese IMO.

The are 3 tracks at most with high pitched vocals in an 1hr10min mix.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    ok then, well personally i'd say its old skool hardcore because it sounds a lot like the sort of mixes heard by people like carl cox or slipmatt back in 92.

Nah that's different again - that's what blaggy's on about.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It evolved into light and dark - if it didn't go a different way would it not still be jungle?

Jungle took all the basslines, riddim, soul and funk and left happy hardcore with cheesy stabs and chipmunk vocals.
    Skive wrote:
    The are 3 tracks at most with high pitched vocals in an 1hr10min mix.

I must admit, I only skimmed through it, but the predominance of off beat one note basslines and awful brass stabs made me turn it off sharpish.
  • Options
    all IM (not so) HO, natch ;)
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Jungle took all the basslines, riddim, soul and funk and left happy hardcore with cheesy stabs and chipmunk vocals.

That's over simplified things though.

Although hardcore did develop cheesy stabs and chipmunk vocals it wasn't staright from the split with jungle.

Happy Hardcore didn't really arrive until late 95/96.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    That's over simplified things though.

Well, yes. I'm posting on a bulletin board, not writing a cultural studies thesis. :p
    Skive wrote:
    Although hardcore did develop cheesy stabs and chipmunk vocals it wasn't staright from the split with jungle.

Happy Hardcore didn't really arrive until late 95/96.

Probably, I'm not too sure tbh. Although looking back from 2005, it seems to me that jungle took the good stuff, leaving the shite to turn into happy hardcore and then influence hardhouse and hardtrance.

*shudders*
  • Options
    Not much wrong with cheesy euphoric tunes imo..quite inspirational actually.
  • Options
    God i hate cheesy stuff :yuck:
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote:
    God i hate cheesy stuff :yuck:

I :heart: it. With a passion. But I also :heart: a bit of rave, d'n'b, jungle and bigbeat. Its whatever gets you going, and whatever mood you're in.

I can't stand trance, funky house and breakbeat, however.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I :heart: it. With a passion. But I also :heart: a bit of rave, d'n'b, jungle and bigbeat. Its whatever gets you going, and whatever mood you're in.

Some trance is good, funky house is not bad but you can't beat some good old techno :yes: .

We all have our tastes i guess .. but still cheese and happy hardcore is a no no for me :no: :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Probably, I'm not too sure tbh. Although looking back from 2005, it seems to me that jungle took the good stuff, leaving the shite to turn into happy hardcore and then influence hardhouse and hardtrance.

*shudders*

Good jungle survived longer than good hardcore IMO. But what has become of jungle now?

Again happy hardcore didn't arrive properly until 96 way after the scene had split. Out of all the hardcore styles gabber has surived without the most change, although it has slowed down a little noiw.

I still go raving, and although the music now isn't what I came to love when I first got into it, I see others with as much enthusiasm as I did way back then.
    As long as people love their music for what it is rather than image, I'll never diss them or their music.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    what has become of jungle now?

Mutated and split into drum'n'bass, UK garage, grime/eski/dub-step, yardcore and breakcore.
    Skive wrote:
    Again happy hardcore didn't arrive properly until 96 way after the scene had split.

Naaah, people were calling it happy hardcore in 95.
    Skive wrote:
    Out of all the hardcore styles gabber has surived without the most change, although it has slowed down a little noiw.

Can't stand gabba, although its had a bit of an influence on the yardcore/breakcore scene.
    Skive wrote:
    I still go raving, and although the music now isn't what I came to love when I first got into it, I see others with as much enthusiasm as I did way back then.
    As long as people love their music for what it is rather than image, I'll never diss them or their music.

I'd agree with that. Although arguing about music is fun. If you don't think that your own taste is superior then you don't care enough :p
  • Options
    My poitn was that good Jungle disapeard quite quickly too.

And 94/95 hardcore still had breaks, it was only later on that Happy Hardcore (which lacked breaks) came through.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Blagsta are you that mix won't download? Works for me.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Some trance is good, funky house is not bad but you can't beat some good old techno .

We all have our tastes i guess .. but still cheese and happy hardcore is a no no for me

I like funky house man, Love psy trance and techno, old skool garage as well, if you like eat static or zubzub check this new remixed album out of a guitarist im into TRACK 5 and 8..... ... theres some other dancet ssamples on the site as well, :D
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:

I like Trance, I don't really like the Top 40 type of stuff but I do love Progressive/Psy/Minimal Trance and some Goa.

Also love Progressive/Minimal House, Progressive Breaks and Atmospheric DnB.
  • Options
    seaweed wrote:
    I like funky house man,

I love me house, but whenever anyone says "funky house", it makes me want to kill people. All house is funky by very defintion. Unfortunately, most "funky" house is anything but. It's usually tired old disco loops chucked through a filter with terrible vocals. It's what we used to call "handbag house" back in the day. Give me proper deep house or Chi-town any day.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Rolly check out the mix

Good stuff eh? :D

That's what you call hardcore.
    omg!
    now i know i'm old ...
  • Options
    i was watching one of these 20 top hits from '95 thingys and they were just classic dance tunes. Then i think about music today and i want to cry. top 20 from '05 is gonna be crappy 50 cent and shit. I know its all personal taste and that, but seriously...no....just....no...