Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Annoying flatmate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Okay, I'm pleased with my halls and my course seems to be improving but one thing that's getting to me is one of my flatmates.

Yes, I know there's always one who you fail to see eye-to-eye with in situations like these but I feel he's stepped over the boundries. His attitude I can accept, and I can just about deal with the state of the place after one of his many infamous parties.

What I can't stand is the continual noise in the early hours of the morning, the scum he brings back who will accomodate themselves in the living area and even the hallway, the shaving foam and tomato ketchup smeered on our property after a playfight, setting off fire alarms and banging on your door aggressively until he gets a response at 3am when you have a lecture that morning and many other atrocities I'm too angry to remember.

Yes, I know halls is all part of living the famous university life but this is almost like being in Club 18-30! I've spoken to a few of the other flatmates, some condone his behaviour and will regularly participate in them but a few others agree with how I feel.

I know common sense would be to pull him aside and explain how I feel but I fear this will make me the prime target for his mischevious antics. We're still in the early stages and everything is fragile, doing this will probably make me massively unpopular.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you have a warden or a esidents association person that you can go to in confidence?

Part of me thinks a bit of retaliation may be in order, but that will probably just escelate the problem.
    To be honest that sounds like typical problems when you're sharing with a large number of people. Unfortunately sounds like you're in with one of the more moronic people. Stick it out and choose a more select group to move in with next year, or get the common thinking people to tell him to tone it down and stop being a cock.
    I'd have a word with your warden, or accomadation services.
    Neil wrote:
    Okay, I'm pleased with my halls and my course seems to be improving but one thing that's getting to me is one of my flatmates.

Yes, I know there's always one who you fail to see eye-to-eye with in situations like these but I feel he's stepped over the boundries. His attitude I can accept, and I can just about deal with the state of the place after one of his many infamous parties.

What I can't stand is the continual noise in the early hours of the morning, the scum he brings back who will accomodate themselves in the living area and even the hallway, the shaving foam and tomato ketchup smeered on our property after a playfight, setting off fire alarms and banging on your door aggressively until he gets a response at 3am when you have a lecture that morning and many other atrocities I'm too angry to remember.

Yes, I know halls is all part of living the famous university life but this is almost like being in Club 18-30! I've spoken to a few of the other flatmates, some condone his behaviour and will regularly participate in them but a few others agree with how I feel.

I know common sense would be to pull him aside and explain how I feel but I fear this will make me the prime target for his mischevious antics. We're still in the early stages and everything is fragile, doing this will probably make me massively unpopular.

I had several of these types. Getting dragged off one of them one night before i physically ripped his head off stopped him but nothing I could do all year except wait for 2nd Year. Second Year is much better when you can finally get some sleep.
    I'm fortunate being a mature student and all... The only thing that annoys me really is that some residents think they can take your cuttlery and mugs in to their rooms, or pinch your ketchup... That and if they don't clean anything.

I'm pretty happy with my flatmates tho.
    As GWST says, if you are being harrassed by people in your flat, directly or otherwise, then you need to inform the university authorities. You do not have to live like that, and you have a right to insist that you are allowed to live peacefully. If you can't, the university have to place you somewhere where you can, or they have to evict those who won't.

Universities will also be tactful about your complaint.

You are paying a lot of money for this accomodation, and have a legal right to have peaceful enjoyment of it.

If they damage something you will have to pay for it as joint tenants on the floor/flat. If you don't report this behaviour, you will feel it in the wallet when you come to leave.
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to allow a few more weeks before I take any action but you can be bloody sure that I won't be footing the bill for anyone's antics!
    Neil, I can't remember if you did go to Northumbria in the end, but I had serious problems with one of my flatmates in my first year there, including a cockatoo that was allowed to shit all over the kitchen. Go to the accomodation department on Ellison Terrace and they are incredibly helpful - the way they managed my complaint was by doing a "random" spot check on the flat and "discovering" the behaviour that was going on there, so I was never implicated in informing them.
    Noted, thanks :).
    Ug my friend here has about 8 of them in her halls. Theres 20 of them sharing a kitchen and they went out every night for the first 3 weeks. And got in at 3am and sat around making noise till 5am pretty much everyday.They *seem* to be calming down a bit now. Luckily I missed out on uni residences am in private halls and its fab.
    yeah, if you have an accomodation officer, i would suggest talking to him about it. and if more people agree with you then maybe you should all go together so you wont feel so bad! if you let someone know about it then hopefully the "troublemaker" will be warned and the incidents will stop happening.
    if you dont have someone you can talk to about it then maybe just talk to the person face to face!! im sure they will understand if you talk to them reasonably.

luckily for me i get on really well with my flatmates and i see them being the main people i hang round with for the next 3 years! (people on my course however i dont really get on too well with!) ..although despite this i still get the odd wakeup call at 3 in the morning sometimes! very annoing!
    Neil wrote:

hehe sounds a but like myself only I be dead on about things like, it's only the 3rd week of uni for most people, I garauntee that person feels strongly about getting a degree and in time he'll wise up, but yea don't sweat or nathin like :thumb:
    This can be a lot of fun if your warden/security services refuse to do anything about it or are too slow to act. If you get up early he's gonna be sound asleep so team up with your other flatmates to bang saucepans and set off fire alarms first thign in the morning just as your off to lectures. After just a few tries he'll be so tired he wont go on any more nights out.

At our uni we got 3 people to move halls and got one expelled because they were soooo annoying!!
    I had loads of problems with my nieghbour in my first year last year and people from other buildings wreaking havoc in the flat. You should bear in mind that the although it may seem to last forever things do calm down after the first 3weeks as most of the sensible people will realise they have spent masses of money and are missing all the lectures. That said you have to accept that if you live in halls you will probably allways get woken up once or twice a week.

However if you have one or a group of people who are a major constant nuisance then you shouldnt just put up with it as it will totally fuck up your year, my advice:

Most people, even troublemakers are shit scared in their first year of getting kicked out, if you complain to residence and they recieve a ticking off they will probably remember it.

If half a dozen people are making noise every night cut your losses and move, loads of people do this and most are better off for it

Dont bitch to all the other flat mates as you will probably end up moaning to someone who doesnt agree with you and create a beef. Just be straight up with the perpetrator when they are sober and if other people have done the same they will either behave or move elsewhere.

If all else has failed go round to their room, kick the door down and threathen to smash their hi-fi (worked for me) :)
    Hey Neil. I've read some of the replies and it seems like you have some good ideas here to help you :) I know what it feels like when you live (or even just live near) total plonkers. Probably just the excitement of being at University and going a little overboard for the first 3-4 weeks. Hopefully it should settle down as they get more work to absorb their massive amounts of spare time, hehe!

Campus/building security are normally fairly nice people...They soon get to know the plonkers and will take no non-sense from these types of people. Don't be put off by making a complaint...I used to be really put off thinking I would appear a whinger or that simply complaining would escalate matters, non of that is true tho!

Suprisingly it can help to actually talk to these people. Depending on your tone and maner...They will learn to respect you and hopefully be a little more polite. Heck, I even walked into some dudes room and switched off his music one night...I didn't say anything to him but he knew I meant "business" and kept it off (and down after then).