Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What is a 'disclosure'??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive been looking for jobs and a number of times ive seen in the information that 'successful applicants will be expected to provide a full disclosure' and/or 'employer will meet costs of the disclosure'.

anyone know what it is????

thanx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Full disclosure means that you need to tell them everything and don't hide anything or lie. Meet costs of the disclosure, have no idea what that means. :confused:
    ahh, so its providing detals of criminal convictions, dismissals from previous jobs, driving convictions etc etc??
    Sikorah wrote:
    ahh, so its providing detals of criminal convictions, dismissals from previous jobs, driving convictions etc etc??

In the literal sense, yes. Only reason I know was I was confiding in a teacher once who explained to me about full disclosure so he had to tell my head of year what I'd said.

But that doesn't seem to fit with the employer covering the cost... I'd wait for someone more knowledgable to fill you in :)
    hmmmm. thanx.

wonder if its anything to do with a crb check(criminal records) and all that stuff, so they can check you are who you say you are and have proof you aint lied about your history. I had one done when i applied to the police, but didnt have to pay coz i guess they have all that info to hand?
    I think the jobs ive seen it required for were NHS jobs so that might fit.
    It is a background check of sorts, relating to any criminal convictions.

The Criminal Records Bureau deal with [In England and Wales] the "Disclosure", many people have it especially if they are working with childen or vulnerable adults, e.g. healthcare workers.

http://www.crb.gov.uk/

Disclosure Scotland deal with Scotland obviously..:

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/
    It is only to do with convictions and official warnings from police, nothing about your work history and it doesnt prove who you are, only that you don't have any criminal convictions that may not be suitable for working in that area.
    oh right thats good then.

thank you.
    yeah that's right, i had to have one for my uni course.
    I have three enhance disclosures... :cool: :cool:
    Yeah, mine have been clear too.

It helps to give a false name and dodgy address. If only it tied up with my name badge. :chin:
    Panthro wrote:
    I have three enhance disclosures... :cool: :cool:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a standard disclosure and an enhanced one? People are telling me different things and i'm getting very confuzzled!! :crazyeyes Also, how long do they take to come?
    They take a couple of months, but it depends how many areas you have lived in during the previous 5 years cos they have to check with every Police Force that may have arrested you.

An enhanced one just means it checks more details. Read Panthro's link.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I am currently waiting for mine to come through ... techincally the uni tries to get it through before you start placement. I started placement 3 weeks ago ...
    I had to get one for starting uni
    I had to get one for looking after some school pupils
    I had to get one for my new job
    What were you doing at uni that you needed one, if you dont mind me asking?
    Kentish wrote:
    Yeah, mine have been clear too.

It helps to give a false name and dodgy address. If only it tied up with my name badge. :chin:

That would be funny if it wasn't a doctor saying it. Too many real cases... ;)

But yeah, been there, done that. Didn't get a T-shirt though, tight bastards :mad:
    bongbudda wrote:
    What were you doing at uni that you needed one, if you dont mind me asking?

I am doing Primary Education. A full disclosure is normally needed when you are working with children, healthcare etc.
    1andonly wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a standard disclosure and an enhanced one? People are telling me different things and i'm getting very confuzzled!! :crazyeyes Also, how long do they take to come?

An enhanced CRB disclosure can show police cautions as well as criminal convictions. Although mine didn't.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I was convicted of Violent dissorder in 2001, but I'm not sure when I can stop telling future employers about it (not that I have ever done anyway)?
    Weekender Offender 
    I had to get one of those for when I was working with children in Canada.
    Skive wrote:
    I was convicted of Violent dissorder in 2001, but I'm not sure when I can stop telling future employers about it (not that I have ever done anyway)?

I believe it is five years, depending on what you were actually convicted of. I think its longer for s18 GBH, but I'm not sure.

Ring up the court, they'd be able to tell you.
    Spent convictions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. It goes not by the offence but by the sentence.
    See here http://www.nacro.org.uk/data/resources/nacro-2005020105.pdf
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    Spent convictions are covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. It goes not by the offence but by the sentence.
    See here http://www.nacro.org.uk/data/resources/nacro-2005020105.pdf

Cheers. That'll be 5 years then.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    Cheers. That'll be 5 years then.

If you ever want to work with kids or other vunerable people you will have to get a disclosure, which will show your offence up.
    My disclosure has just arrived :) Not bad considering I applied in mid September. Thought it would take a lot longer :)
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you ever want to work with kids or other vunerable people you will have to get a disclosure, which will show your offence up.

Yes, some positions are "exempt" from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, i.e. you have to declare everything even if spent. Examples are working with children or vulnerable adults, pharmacist or other job where you come into close proximity to controlled drugs, barrister, bank manager etc. These positions will require you to do a Criminal Record Bureau check (or disclosure).