Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Advice on what im about to do next.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right a bit of background. Ive been offered the chance to move to birmingham to move in with someone to make new friends and a new life etc, i currently live in london. I currently work in london for a great company, the work is easy but its what i wana do in a way, but i dont like the people i work with too much. The boss however is a great guy.

Now ive been looking for new jobs in birmingham without much luck, so is what im thinking of doing next a wise choice and what pitfalls should i look out for.

Im thinking of telling my boss ive been given the chance to move to birmingham, but id like to carry on working for him and the company. So could i work from home for a number of days a week and come in a couple of times a week when needed. Im thinking 3 days at home and then traveling back for two days to do what ever needs to be done in the office.

Is this a wise thing to do? could i lose my job because of it? What should i do and say exactly and what could go wrong basically. Any advice would be great please!

Comments

• Options
    I moved a long way away from work, and it made more economic sense for the company to keep me working from home rather than replace me.

However, I am going a bit mental because it's so bloody quiet. Just something to bear in mind.

What do you do now?
  • Options
    Without going into to much detail i do a lot of desktop publishing and printing stuff. Its only a small company too and ive been told by others they have quite the bargin by hiring me cos i do some many different jobs for the company. The quiet bit wont bother me i dont think, i dont really chat to anyone at work cos i like to get on with things and while i guess they are nice enough people the topics are oftening bitching about each other. So i try and keep out of it.

So what did you say when you moved, any advice?
  • Options
    NeoNero wrote:
    So what did you say when you moved, any advice?

I was planning on leaving the company so it was a bit different, they were the ones that asked me to work from home rather than leave completely.

If you could work from home, and you have a good case as to why it would benefit your employer, then have a chat to your boss about it.

Temping is another option (if you can manage on about 10 grand a year for a bit).
  • Options
    I would suggest that you have a chat with your boss and just see what your options are, just be honest, i am sure if he is a nice guy he will be okay, he cant fire you over that.

Only then can you decide if you want to move to Birmingham as if you cant keep your job, your more than likely gonna have to look at a pay reduction as London is where the money is........... or so they say.......

Good luck with your decision x