Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

St Johns Ambulance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have anyone ever joined st johns or is part of st johns?? I am starting soon and just wondering what activies etc you do.I am training to be a paramedic so i hope its gonna be good experiance !!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I am a trainned first aider and I work in a medical centre at a motor racing track and no body has a problem with me treating them thats what u learn for x
    Thank you so much, I wish there was more helpful people like you about xx
    the correct grammar is "I wish there were more helpful..."

Just because you didn't like the advice doesn't mean GWST isn't right.
    Firstly it St John Ambulance :p

In St John Ambulance you can train up to be an Ambulance Technician and saying a First Aider can't treat is bollocks. Depends entirely on the first aider. A paramedic is a first aider!

To be a paramedic you must first be an Ambulance Technician.
    What kind of things do you do to train as one and how long does it take to get there???
    Like with most volunteer work you get what you put in. It also depends on County you are in as some offer more courses than others and work different ways.

Assuming a County does all qualifications (like mine) then...

To observe on a duty and treat under supervision you need ECS (Essential Care Skills) and MH (Manual Handling).

To treat on your own you need FAW (First Aid at Work) which is normal First aid Certificate you get anywhere.

TO use stretchers and Carry chairs and carry blankets you need CAS (Casualty Handling)

After this you have BC (Baby and Child)

Then it gets more fun with MG (Medical Gases - i.e. Oxygen, Suction, Laughing Gas), Fractures I and II (Spinebords splints etc).

Keeps on going with Fundamental Care, Patient Handling and Ambulance Aid I and Ambulance Aid II. etc etc.
    Does a St John Ambulance person intubate??? :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:
    Cool i cant wait to join! how do u find out if you can do all this in your area!
    I wasn't being unhelpful - I'm a trained first aider too. But as Panthro is implying, apart from relatively minor things, a first aider is generally way out of their depth and can sometimes do more harm than good.

Depends entirely. A normal First Aider has no real experiance and only gets assessed every three years. In general they are useless, bollocks and lose their heads when something cool like disemboweling happens.

St John Ambulance members usually practise first aid every week and also are much more confident due to experiance on duty. One of guys I go on duty with a few months ago also works at a theme park and was the first aider on the scene when a worker had an abdomenal wound and his guts actually fell out. Apparently a bit gross but the guy knew what to do until ambulance turned up.

I would say on the whole St John Ambulance do so much training and get such a large amount of experiance that they are usually far better than anyone who just has a FAW.
    I wasn't being unhelpful - I'm a trained first aider too. But as Panthro is implying, apart from relatively minor things, a first aider is generally way out of their depth and can sometimes do more harm than good.

aye, i'm a trained first aider (rescue and emergency, which despite the fancy title just means in addition to being rather handy with plasters and a bandage, i can also pull people out of rivers. woo), and the guy who taught us kept stressing that if the injury was more than a something really minor, we were only there to keep tabs on the person until the ambulance arrived.

he did mention that first aid types have a tendency to get a wee bit above themselves and come over all doogie howser, and that we were NOT to do that because it was quite likely we'd cock the situation up even more.
    It isn't the same. Your idea of a First Aider is someone with an FAW qualification. They will do that once every 3 years.

That is the minimum St John Ambulance members need. They do lots more training to cope with all sorts of stuff and practise a hell of a lot more than people who are just first aiders at their place of occupation do.

From what I have seen they know normally what they can and cannot do. Yes First Aiders are only supposed to keep someone stable until an ambulance arrives in serious cases but there are a multitude of things St John Ambulance members do and practise weekly to help make their chance of living higher. For example log roles (which people with FAW will not be qualified or insured to do).
    how much time do u give a week to this?? Is it durin the day or evening etc??