Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Personal Statement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I need help with my personal statement for uni, i havent got a scooby doo what to say at all! the only thing i know what to do is to explain in the first paragraph why i want to do that course, and i dont think they'd appreciate my real reason for that i.e it was the only course in all the prospectus's that interested me! :chin:
can people please tell me what they put for theirs!!

x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    If its the only course that interests you then put that down, just use more superlatives. If it's your ambition to that course to the exclusion of most others (and it is) then say so.

The personal statement is all about selling yourself. Don't be bashful, write in 20-foot high neon letters I AM WONDERFUL! That's how you create the perfect personal statement.
  • Options
    I've just been writing mine at school.....basically suck up to yourself. I hate how my P.S sounds.....i sound arrogant. But maybe that's because i'm not used to flattering myself :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I hate these things. I'm filling out job applications now and it's just the same.

You need to explain to them how wonderful you are and why you are different from the thousands of other applicants for your place. Easier said than done but there's no room for modesty. The modest or bashful get shafted these days, like Kermit says.
  • Options
    If it's the only course that interests you, maybe your going to the wrong uni, or uni isn't right for you. You're going to be doing this subject for the next three years so you should at least enjoy it.

Check out loads of example personal statements at http://www.studential.com/personalstatements

You should probably be spending 1/3 to 1/2 the statement talking about your choosen subject so try and come up with some reason - start with what bits you like about it or particular issues in your subject you think are important - just get a few notes down and work on making it sound good after.
  • Options
    The advice we were given was to keep it as academic as possible; no more than a quarter extra-curricular. (I’ve just submitted my UCAS). Convey your passion for the course, why you want to study it, say what further reading you’ve done (if you haven’t done any, do some). Name the titles, explain what you gained from them, what aspects you agreed with, found interesting, wish to learn more about, etc. If possible when you’ve done a first draft give it to somebody who can help you, a teacher in the subject you’re wishing to study could give you useful advice.
  • Options
    try talkin to your college tutors. mine gave me a guide to follow, then we wrote up rough copies and he went over them with us and told us how to improve them.
  • Options
    Try to make yourself sound like a good all round individual.

Plus personal statements aren't all that important, do you really think uni's have all that time to read all them statements. They usually go by grades and if it's a tough competitive course, then they go to P.S.
  • Options
    i had no idea why i wanted to do the course i've applied for so i went round asking people why they thought politics was so important and basically used that.
    i also then thought about the things i'd want if i were looking for people to study politics, strong leadership, diverse cultural knowledge etc then played anything i've ever done up to that - being a prefect and helping organise charity work, that kind of thing.

when i gave mine to my tutor it was 'here's the biggest piece of egocentric arse you'll ever see'
  • Options
    I too had trouble writing mine, I've pretty much finished it now though.
    Writing about myself is really difficult. If you need help, as others have stated, go ask your tutor or someone with more experience with this kinda stuff.