Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Could you check my CV?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, I need you guys to check this for me.

Ta :D

Me
51 XXXXXXXX Street
XXXXX XXXXXXXXXX
Glasgow
XXX XXX

0141 XXX XXXX

Education/Qualifications

XXX - 1999- Present

XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX

Higher Business Management: B
Higher Computing: B
Intermediate 2 Music: B

Referees: Mrs XXX and Miss XXX

Previous Work Experience

XXX: School Work Experience – 2003

During my time with XXX I worked in each department. I also spent a day at the XXX office. I learned how to use most of the reprographics machines including facsimile machines and photocopiers. I helped design the Christmas Menu for the Old Person’s Day Club and worked in the mail room.

XXX: 2004 – 2005

Whilst working at XXX I worked as a filing clerk in the filing room of one of the busiest wings and often working unsupervised for long periods of time which led me to use my own initiative on a number of occasions.

Personal Profile

• Organised
• Good communication skills
• Keen to learn

I am a hardworking person. I enjoy working on my own initiative but also have a strong team-working ethic. During my time at school I was elected to represent my class on the Senior School Council and now in my 6th year I am again a member of the council and was voted Chairperson. I recently volunteered to become a Reading Tutor helping younger school pupils to further their competency in reading. Outside of school I regularly attend the gym and a running club of which I am a member. In the future I hope to become a Business Studies Teacher.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need addresses and telephone numbers for your referees, otherwise they won't be able to get references from them :p.
    Maybe add your mobile and email address.

Also include your D.O.B.

Referees usually go at the end.

Are the XXXs under the "Educational/Qualification" title, where you are going to put your Standard Grades?

It would be: Old Persons' Day Club
    You need addresses and telephone numbers for your referees, otherwise they won't be able to get references from them :p.

Don't you normally put 'available on request' though, because the CV is about you, when they want you for the job they might ask for references but until then...
    I never put my referees on it. Wait until your potential empoyer asks you for them.

ETA - I tend to write about my 'main responsibilities' in my jobs, detailing day-to-day duites so they know what you have experience in.

My CV goes:

Personal Details - name, date of birth, address, phone numbers, email address.

Education/Qualifications - the most recent comes first.

Work Experience - again, most recent comes first. Talking briefly about working hours, main responsibilities, etc.

Achievements - pretty self explanatory! Things you've done in school/college/uni/work/spare time, e.g. Duke Of Edinurgh award, sports awards. etc.

Skills & Interests - Talking about skills, e.g. experience on computers/specific programs, - try and make your slkills related to the job you're applying for. Then talk about hobbies, like driving, cinema, etc.

I don't know if that will help, or if people will disgaree with any of it! But I've always had compliments on it, and I've always got interviews by it. I've never been turned down for a job either!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I never put my referees on it. Wait until your potential empoyer asks you for them.

ETA - I tend to write about my 'main responsibilities' in my jobs, detailing day-to-day duites so they know what you have experience in.

My CV goes:

Personal Details - name, date of birth, address, phone numbers, email address.

Education/Qualifications - the most recent comes first.

Work Experience - again, most recent comes first. Talking briefly about working hours, main responsibilities, etc.

Achievements - pretty self explanatory! Things you've done in school/college/uni/work/spare time, e.g. Duke Of Edinurgh award, sports awards. etc.

Skills & Interests - Talking about skills, e.g. experience on computers/specific programs, - try and make your slkills related to the job you're applying for. Then talk about hobbies, like driving, cinema, etc.

I don't know if that will help, or if people will disgaree with any of it! But I've always had compliments on it, and I've always got interviews by it. I've never been turned down for a job either!

Mine follows the same sort of pattern. I normally write at the end something like "References available on request" and then I sign and date it too, so that they know it is a recent one.
    Jazza wrote:

During my time with XXX I worked in each department

might be worthwhile stating what the departments were.
    I have both my referees on my CV. Which reminds me that I really should actually redo my CV. Fucking computer dying.
    You really need to take out the kisses :lol:
    satehen wrote:
    :lol:
    satehen wrote:

You never know, it might secure him the job :)
    satehen wrote:

lmao, might be an idea :D
    My referees are my teachers, therefore they are contacted through the school :p
    Panthro wrote:
    Maybe add your mobile and email address.

Also include your D.O.B.

Referees usually go at the end.

Are the XXXs under the "Educational/Qualification" title, where you are going to put your Standard Grades?

It would be: Old Persons' Day Club
    I didn't think I needed to put down my Standard Grades
    OK.
    I've taken out references and added "References on request" at the end.

I've added my Standard Grades in qualifications (although I've just put 1,2,2,2,2,3,3,4)

I've added my email address and mobile phone number

I've changed the order of my work experience and added times.
    Jazza wrote:
    I've added my Standard Grades in qualifications (although I've just put 1,2,2,2,2,3,3,4)

If you're going to put all your grades down, you might as well show what you got for each subject... if not, just put it briefly.