Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How Well Does Your Uni Treat You?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've noticed some of the former polys that are now uni's and trying to build up their reputation and numbers at the lower end of the scale particularly taking in students via clearing ain't exactly got student welfare at the top of their list?

A lot of them are more focused on the numbers and the bottom line then whether they're doing right by their students.

I visit one uni once a month and it's on a brand new campus in London, but all the uni have provided for them is a student union to drink at and that's basically it.

The uni is right on the Thames so the students are almost trapped by the river, there's no where to go unless they get on the tube.

Many of these new uni's that are building new campuses should have loads of facilities for students but often that don't seem to care what happen to them outside of class time.

Also just basic things, like at my uni they had two canteens, one with crap food and one with nice hot food, staff could use both, students culd only use the crap one.

And students were banned from eating inthe PC labs, but the uni also held day courses for companies and used the very same rooms, and they got tea, coffee, biscuits, etc served to them in the same room!!

I really hate double standards. Is there a website or anything where student can post their view on how well their university treats them? An insiders guide to life at their uni?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    do you mean for prospective students to see? if you do there's a message board on

unofficial guides

and

new student

also push.co.uk

and the Virgin website for students. can't think what the address is as it changed not long ago.
  • Options
    how does my uni treat me?

tbh REALLY BADLY !!! :(
  • Options
    How does my uni treat me???
    im at a small college of higher education! and its fab!! there is always a friendly senior student i can go and visit if i have a problem and life here is generally great!!!
    there is of course the odd moody member of canteen staff and some policies i dont agree with!but over all a big thumbs up!!!!
  • Options
    my uni is ok, the school facilities are good, the student welfare is also ok but the cafes and stuff are crap and the student union shop is well expensive!
  • Options
    My uni is quite good, they provide the facilities, loads of clubs and the union is directly adjacent to the uni itself...however they don't bend over backwards to help ya if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    how does my uni treat me?

tbh REALLY BADLY !!! :(

Well that`s sad to hear, but you don`t say what`s bad about it?
  • Options
    Badly, but then that might just be because I expect better for the money I pay.

I expect my lecturers to actually at least acknowledge me in the corridors when I say hello, rather than just being rude and ignorant...not saying they're all bad for it, but a lot are. I expect them to be bothered to turn up to tutorials they're meant to be teaching, rather than skiving like students would. I expect them to have made sure work they set us is possible to be done, rather than settings on the network needing altering for the stuff to work. I want lectures to be more than purely reading over notes that we can easily do ourselves in our own time because they're on the intranet.

I want the rules of my course not to change each year, meaning that I really don't have a clue where I stand each year. I want them to listen and act when they ask us if we have any problems we want resolving with the uni.

I can't complain about the computing facilities any more in the computing dept as we did get a new building built last year with brand new machines etc, but there is a shortage of machines for us to do work in outside of tutorial times.
  • Options
    Well fortunately mine is a good-old red-brick Russel group University so it treats me pretty well. The Union could do with a lot (not least the people who run it) but it's a good place and were I to need something, there'll be a group to talk to about it. Yes, Bristol look after their students.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    So far both unis I have attended have really shocking admin departments. Truly awful. But I don't know if Edinburgh and Sheffield Hallam are exceptions to the rule or what.
  • Options
    My department treat us very well, they make it clear what is expected of us etc and are approachable if we need anything. The uni as a whole isn't too fab, the facilities are getting better (which is just typical when I'm about leave!! :rolleyes: ) but stuff in general could be improved.
  • Options
    All universities treat students as cash cows there to be milked until the pips squeak. Students are resources to be milked of their money and spat out the other end, that is how universities view them.

Which is why Durham's annual halls rent is higher than the Student Loan payment now.
  • Options
    Mine seems pretty good so far but i think thats more to do with the department (languages). They set us up loads in freshers week as induction stuff but didnt start most till 11, it seems good so far :)
  • Options
    my university is very posh indeed, there isnt much to do but it does put on big do's and give advice in doing job interviews etc. i go UCL btw...

prices area mug and scholarest do our canteens, but only problem in our canteens etc is the price, 80p for a 500ml bottle of coke, and 45p for crisps etc :(
  • Options
    I'm being taken excellent care of so far. My Uni is fairly small and both older students and lectureres have stressed that if there's a problem, then there are lots of people to talk to.
    It's also a close knitted community as there's just the uni here (in the middle of nowhere ;)), although I've heard from older students that it's not as much as it has been.