Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cv

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive somehow managed to wipe mine off my computer and am in the process of doing it again so i just wanted to check if this is all i need on it:

name, DOB, address, phone number, email address

education (and exam results)

employment history

key skills and achievements

interests

references (although i'll probably just put available on request..)

is that it? and is that the right kind of order?

also, ive recently started a degree in childhood studies and want to apply for a mentoring job- what sort of thing shall i put in my profile at the beginning after ive said ive recently started the degree? if im doing a degree in childhood studies it just seems kind of obvious to put i want to work with children but i dunno what else to put...

ETA- in education, do i put my A-level results first and then under that something like 10 gcses, a*-C?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally, unless you don't have a degree, I don't think employers give much of a toss about GCSE's. Normally, just put xGCSEs including Maths and English (if indeed you have those!) and the grades if they're good.

As I said, if you've got a degree, your GCSE results will be so far in the past and you'll have a lot more current proofs of your capability.

Apart from that, it looks fine.
    Your not meant to put your grades on your cv just the qualifications
    ive only just started my degree though... so do i put that in the education section or just in my profile at the start?

modern lace- whar do you mean you're not meant to put grades on? i always do something like this:

A-Levels
    English Language and Literature: A
    Government and Politics: A
    Media Studies A

AS-Levels (not carried on to A-Level)
    Business Studies A
    General Studies A

GCSES - 10 A*-C including English, Maths and Science

Is that ok?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Your not meant to put your grades on your cv just the qualifications

Why not?
    Why not?

Unless you got all A Grades then why would you? This is a sales document, why let an employers know that you *only* got a C? All he's really interested in is whether you passed or not.
    Kat_B wrote:
    A-Levels
    English Language and Literature: A
    Government and Politics: A
    Media Studies A

AS-Levels (not carried on to A-Level)
    Business Studies A
    General Studies A

GCSES - 10 A*-C including English, Maths and Science

Is that ok?

Wasted. IMHO.

Would sugegst something like this...

Name, Address, Phone, E-Mail
    Don't include your DoB unless the job has an age restriction on it. You youth can actually go against you, so why mention it. Should be bold, your name needs to stand out if you want it remembered.

Profile A short piece about you, a sentence really. Nothing more. This should be bold and slightly larger font than the rest of your CV.

key skills and achievements Aren't your exam result achievements then?
    You don't need a separate education (and exam results) aspect. You should really bullet point them like this
    • 3 A-Levels (English Language and Literature, Government and Politics, Media Studies)
    • 2 AS-Levels (Business Studies, General Studies)
    • 10 GCSES (including English, Maths)

As I said above Grades aren't really relevant to the employers unless their advert specifies them.

employment history Job Title, Employer, Period of Employment and then four/five bullet points for each job detailing what your responsibilities were

interests Especially if there is something unusual there. Personally I always ask about a persons interests just to see if they are true. Besides, it's usually the only part of the interview where the person is completely comfortable with a subject.

references (although i'll probably just put available on request..) Don't even mention them. The CV is about you. If the employers wants references he'll ask for them at a later date.

Basically the rule in the whole CV aspect is that you shouldn't offer anything which hasn't been asked for. If you do then it is unlikely to go in your favour, more often that not it will go against you. Make sure you present it neatly and that it's no more than two pages. No additional covers other than a plastic wallet to protect it.

Oh, and don't write "CV" or "Curriculum Vitae" at the top. The employers knows what it is...