Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Disability Discrimination Act

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
On job application forms it seems to always say 'do you consider yourself disabled'
If that means you're not able to carry out normal day to day activities, would I be able to say I considered myself disabled because of having chronic pain? See I can't go for a job that means loads of standing up all the time because it sets pains off, but I'm not getting any benefits or anything because of my health problem... would that make a difference? :confused:

Also... I think this might be a bit of a long-shot, but I've been reading up on this stuff and came across something which says disabled people can get reasonable adjustments in the workplace... one of them is:
being flexible about your hours – allowing you to have different core working hours and to be away from the office for assessment, treatment or rehabilitation
Would this include being able to do part-time instead of full-time if nessassery or is it more like just knocking off an hour or two here and there?

(Reason why I'm asking is cos I've spotted a really really cool job if only it wasn't full-time cos I don't feel able to commit to that because of how the pains I get affect me :yeees: )

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ifr you suffer from chronic pain and it is assessed and verified by a doctor then you could consider yourself disabled AFAIK.

Even with the DDA you will still find it harder to get a job if you are disabled though.
    remember employers don't have to employ you and they don't have to give a reason why they don't want you.

if someone is advertising a full time job, it's probably because they either need someone there all the time, or it will take being there full time to get the work finished. bearing this in mind, if you said you could commit 25 hours a week and someone else could commit 38, the majority of employers would take the one who could do 38. they do need the job done.

i understood the paragraph you quoted to mean that you would work the same number of hours, but jig them around to suit. say if you had an appointment in the morning, you could do a later shift.
    You'd be better working for a big company that can afford to offer flexible and part-time working.

If you can't stand up due to the pain, you should think about what type of job would be suitable, rather than trying to change the job itself.
    If you are certified disabled by a doctor you may be able to get help finding work if you're put on Incapacity Benefit. The job centre may refer you to a New Deal Job Broker that could then help you to find suitable jobs. Obviously only you know what work you can and cannot do but it may be useful to look at employers with the "Two Ticks - Positive About Disabled People"

have a dig around here: http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/