Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Degree --> Career

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this will probably be moved to the student section, but sod it. I was just talking to a friend about my choice of degree course and he said he couldn't imagine me doing that as a career, which made me think- who actually continues a career based on their degree choice?

So that's my question to you lot. What subject did you do for a degree or a levels, and what career do you have now (if any)? My theory is that the choice of subject doesn't matter so much, because it's the general skills you gain that employers look for in all kinds of careers.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ladon J wrote:
    I know this will probably be moved to the student section

So you put it here anyway? :p
    I will soon be applying to uni, and the course I have chosen to study does relate to the career path I want to take.

The bottom line is to do something you enjoy.
    my degree was in creative writing, and now i am...... (drum roll)......a copywriter.

not entirely what i had planned, but i wouldn't have got my job with a degree in something non-writing/englishy.
    most careers too usually don't specify that you need a degree in a specific subject just that you have a decent amount of intellectual ability which your degree is evidence of.
    anyway... i'm still at uni! :)
    tbh with the amount of debt you will accumulate you should hope your degree is somehow gonna contribute to getting a job that will pay it off, that's why i wouldn't consider doing a non-academic degree personally.......sure it's fun to just go to uni for something you enjoy.......but you should give some thought as to how you're gonna pay it all off afterwards......unless you're rich, in which case hell do what you like....
    my degree was in biomedical science. With only 4 trainee BMS jobs in the country right now i'm not too set on being a bms. Who wants to be a haematologist anyway? Forever subservient to pathologists, no ta!

My degree is career specific, 4 year degree with placement give you state registration as a biomedical scientist. i did the 3 year without placement, that's why i'm unemployed and have no desire to go into this career.