Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

When You Have Kids .. What Will You Do Differently?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    essex-hene wrote:
    I'd tell my kids to bully the other kids in the neighbourhood.
    You're kids will be destined for a life of ASBOs and jail with that attitude.
  • Options
    Theres nothing id do differently from the way i was brought up.I respect and back my parents 100 percent when it comes to how they brought my brother and i up.I completly look up to them.
  • Options
    Only thing i'm not doing & thats smoking as they inhales it all too, plus i gave up years ago.
  • Options
    another thing i've realised my parents did....we weren't allowed to show we were upset about something - like when we were younger and if we cried it was usually ''shut up or i'll give you something to cry about'' and this time last year, my then bf visited (lived 200 miles away) i cried when he left....and my dad threatened to not let him come again if i carried on crying. It was like we couldn't show our emotion through being upset. This is probably why i don't feel i can talk to them about my problems.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I don't think I would do much, if anything different.

We didn't have much money at all but they provided the best first step in life. I am a very lucky girl.
  • Options
    I'd teach them respect, honesty and decency first off, and also importantly make sure they are strong enough they don't get taken as mugs were they get older.

I won't have kids either until I've done most of what I want to do in life and I've settled down with a steady income and preferably married. Although they are some great young parents, I'd rather enjoy myself first and be able to put as much love,care and attention to my child as possible.

I reckon I'm gonna be a great Dad if I have kids (I may not can't say for definate)
  • Options
    When you have kids, what will you do differently?

Walk like John Wayne if my kids are anywhere near as big as I was.
  • Options
    i wouldn't do much differently to how i was brought up

i think my parents managed pretty well, and me and my brothers have turned out okay.

only things i'd change is to encourage them to carry on a hobby or something that can help them relax, not to the extent that it stresses them

i'd also have more 'family days out'
  • Options
    I think the important thing is to wait until you are willing to accept the role as a good parent. I think this is difficult to do at an early age. I have great parents and no problems whatsoever. I will use them as examples. Kids need to be made to feel safe, loved and important. We never know what we will say that will affect this. A husband and wife must be on the same page with discipline and parental responsibilities. A child needs a good male and female role model and the best ones are their own parents.