Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

tax question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am hoping to start a new job soon and need someone to answer a quick question. What happens if my employer asks for a p45 from my last year employment and I dont have one due to a mixture of travelling and working freelance? I know I havent paid tax for at least a year and a half. Am I screwed?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wouldn't worry about it, this has happened to me a few times, and I think your employer will just deal with it and contact the relevant people and get the forms that they need. Don't worry, loads of people don't have those forms, it just makes your employers job a little bit easier if you do! I think that is all correct!
    It'll be fine, if im correct they will fill out a p60 instead.
    P60 are the end of tax year cumulative money earnt and tax paid .... Ask your new employer for a P46.. however you may pay tax on an emergency tax code...which will be paid back.
    thanks guys
    Fill out a form P46 and tick statement B if it's your only or main job. You will get put on an emergency code - 489L X. The best thing to do then is to contact the tax office and provide them with a list of all your employments since your last permanent employment, that will help them put you back on a cumulative code.