Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Couple of questions about essays

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
For one of the subjects I'm doing for A Level, I had an end of unit test and was given 3 questions to answer and the answers had to be like essays. What I want to know is:
If the questions asks me to discuss something, how would I go about doing a conclusion?
If the question asks me to explain something would I go about doing a conclusion?
And did I do the right thing where a question asks me to talk about advantages & disadvantages by explaining what I thought the most important advantage & disadvantage is? (For conclusion)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Essay writing is a skill that takes time to learn, and it might be worth looking at sites online that can give you advice. If you are asked to discuss a question in 2000 words for example, you are very limited as to what you can write about. So you need to take the most important points talk about each one then draw together a conclusion at the end. The conclusion should summarise what you have explained in detail but also shed some light to a possible arguement, you should be able to take an impartial stance on the subject.

If you were asked to discuss sociological theories of X subject for example, you could take the 3 classical sociologists, Marx, Weber and Durkheim and describe their view of that topic with relation to their theories and then in the conclusion you could say Marx and Weber had similar views on XYZ however Webers ideas about X can be closely related to Durkheim's theory. You have to try and tie your ideas together. A conclusion is your summary and should relate back to the introduction. If your introduction is clearly defined, you should be able to tie everything back to that as well at the end of your essay.

I think if you are asked to explain something, you have to do pretty much the same as above!