Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

For any who've done 'young enterprise' or just a business in general

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there

I've joined in a business enterprise scheme which I thought would be fun and interesting, and it is, except for one thing. We were assigning 'positions' yesterday and one of the people there refused to do anything but be managing director. So what could we do? The problem is, it's only been one day but the amount of attitude she has is unbelievable. She's acutally one of my best friends, but I know she's going to make an awful boss. She's loving the fact she's the boss and treats us all like underlings.

I actually didn't want to be the managing director, but there were 2 people in my mind in our group who should have been it. Unfortunately because of the aforementioned girl they are now secretary and financial director. It just seems a bit poo, because I was discussing ideas for a product today, and the girl came over and said "Shouldn't you be discussing your ideas with your manager?". She's talking about herself in the third person ffs! It's pissed everyone in our group off, but we can't exactly say to her 'hey, you're a crap boss, so go away' because we need the numbers.

It's just frustrated me that she's got the position of perhaps the most responsibility, and in reality is one of the least capable, purely because she was selfish and wouldn't do anything else. Everyone else is trying to work as a team, and it's just winding me up.

Help?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I did Young Enterprise and we voted in the person most suited to the job, except it turned out they were really passive and he ended up resigning. Anyway, with regards to your situation I would suggest you have a quiet word with your friend and point out how everyone is feeling. You're adults now and she should be able to handle the truth from a friend.
    we voted too, for all of the positions. i think having a word with her is a good idea because you'll need to all get on and respect each other for it to work.
    Well i dont think you understand how... 'childish' this person is. They're a nice person, just have a really young emotional maturity. At the moment they're slumped over the desk with their head in their arms because they were having a water fight and got splashed.

We didnt vote :( i wish we had though.
    If enough of you feel this way, they demand that it is redone. This time vote.

Seriously, you don't want a crappy MD. I did YE and my MD was brilliant and nobody disliked her whatsoever. She had the companies interests in mind with everything she did/said.

This person shouldn't be MD just because they refuse to do anything else. That sort of attitude is just plain rude, I mean what about the other people who DO want to be MD and would actually do a better job of it?

I know it must be awkward for you, with her being your friend and all, but she shouldn't be behaving like this.

The whole point of YE is that it's supposed to be a real, proffesional company, and give you good experience. If she is immature, then she just won't cut it.
    This person shouldn't be MD just because they refuse to do anything else. That sort of attitude is just plain rude, I mean what about the other people who DO want to be MD and would actually do a better job of it?

When company secretary came up, and the person who in my opinion would be best as md got put there, this person cheered, like that silent 'yes!'. But anyway, I'll see how it goes. The useful thing about her is we get to do what we want, because we tell her what to do :p. Like, even though I'm the crappy IT director, in the last meeting I was the person who tried to form an 'agenda' and keep the discussion moving, whilst the person who's now the secretary was analysing the thoughts and putting the goods ideas to paper and pciking holes in the bad ones (imo that was why she was made secretary - because she's by far the most organised). Most of the people just sit there with their head resting in their hands listening to whats going on.
    I'm so fed up of being the IT guy. I actually do -nothing-.
    Just asked what I'm supposed to be doing, she said she didn't know, I said she should because she's the boss, she said she didn't care, I said that's not the right attitude and a lot of us are actually trying to do well, she said piss off. Some people are so bloody unreliable.
    Boo at her.

Form an army against her :p
    Boo at her.

Form an army against her :p

Looks like it may be going that way. She only joined up because I did :banghead:
    haha

i am doing young enterprise for A-levels right know, im my sixth form its the first time year 13 has done it, and we compete with other groups, to the person who posted this - are u going to trade fairs?

i hade a rubbish group at first, real disorganised, i new it was going to be rubbish when they elected me as head of operations, we made like 100 pounds, that was alright, but the people in the group HATED me, past beef!

so i started changing numbers, stole from them secretly, told the ideas that we came up with to the other group, sold as many shares as i could to them to, and knwo they nearly own my former company.

so know i was headhunted by my new gorup and we raised around 400 pounds through tekken and pro tournaments, also tuk shop, the other group was destroyed an they cant comlete their coursework, ahhhhh oh well,its not good to cross me :thumb:

tell me, what year are u in, u must be in year 12?
    Year 13. We're deposing her next week, she's going to go ape-shit :p. We've (well, I've) already lined up her successor howeever, and have everybody in the group behind her. I feel so devious however, I can't bring it up in the meeting, will let someone else do that.

The other company are being too ambitious and not thinking their projects through, they're having very high break-even levels, but still think they can make a profit. Like, they were going to organise a trip to alton towers, which with a full coach of 50 or so people they'd make £400 or something. The issue was, that they'd be charging people more than they'd pay if they went themselves, with the coach included and everything. I don't think they've had any takers yet.

Our company at the moment are going to make christmas cards to raise some initial capital, and then we hope to develop a new idea or product or service, something more adventurous than the 'CD clock' ideas et al. Make our own stamp, if it were. Most of us aren't profit motivated but would just like to see the company be a success - which isn't necessarily measured by profit at the end of the day.

The MD we're about to get rid off hasn't even paid the registration fee yet. And it's due next week. She only had to write a letter to the governors for the money and then send the payment off, and yet she hasn't done it. When confronted she said she didn't care, which is one of the main reasons that I've so easily got everyone behind her deposition and behind my new candidate.
    Year 13. We're deposing her next week, she's going to go ape-shit :p. We've (well, I've) already lined up her successor howeever, and have everybody in the group behind her. I feel so devious however, I can't bring it up in the meeting, will let someone else do that.

The MD we're about to get rid off hasn't even paid the registration fee yet. And it's due next week. She only had to write a letter to the governors for the money and then send the payment off, and yet she hasn't done it. When confronted she said she didn't care, which is one of the main reasons that I've so easily got everyone behind her deposition and behind my new candidate.

im tellong you, DO NOT LET ANYONE ELSE TELL HER, DO IT YOURSELF, you will fell so good after, and no laughing, i see the other group are doing ok, but this is a competition, so play dirty, real dirty, create rubbish questionnaires about crap with their logo!!!

try to get their cheque book, that also helps, access their work on shared files, and ties their shoelaces together when their sitting down at a meeting!!!

everything possible, cut throat business is the best way!!!!

an what a lazy girl, an sayin i dont care, now thats bullshit :grump:
    my YE group did live band nights and the sorts, made £600 a night, and did three nights of it, and thats profit by the way, still paid the bands and the sound lighty techy people, admittedly for cheap though
    MrG wrote:
    my YE group did live band nights and the sorts, made £600 a night, and did three nights of it, and thats profit by the way, still paid the bands and the sound lighty techy people, admittedly for cheap though

toooo much hasle
    erm £600 x3 = £1800 profit

£60 per person on the young enterprise team, we had 30
    MrG wrote:
    erm £600 x3 = £1800 profit

£60 per person on the young enterprise team, we had 30

think they changed the rules, only 18 now, or sumthin? actually 20
    The HR director has the power to fire people. Have her fired. How the hell did she get to be MD anyway? dont u guys vote? that's what we did. Though saying that, it can turn into a bit of a popularity contest.