Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

8 months waiting for NHS MRI tests - what now?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hallo

Are you waiting for your MRI date?
Then you have to be patient with your PCT even if you have painfull complaints and unclear diagnosis. The MRI situation for NHS test is definitly grave in Great Britain. At the moment the avarage waiting time for a standard MRI scan is app. 36 weeks. This is almost unic in Europe. It is idle to discuss the situation - for all efforts there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

The key for NHS patients -at least for urgent cases and suspicious diagnosis- can be traveling to european neighbour countries and be treated at NHS tariff. For those who cannot wait here's the information of an address of a large hospital which offers MRI scans at NHS tariff with just 7 to 14 days waiting. Of course with highest international quality standards.

*link removed to avoid advertising - do carry on the debate though!*

We believe that a lot of patients would be very glad to get this opportunity to bring their waiting time down to 1 or 2 weeks for just the expenses of daytrip to Frankfurt /Germany.

I hope this mail is informativ and helps.

With kind regards
Sigrid Flögel[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    Get private health insurance tbh. I'm with First Assist and any medical stuff I need I get very fast.
  • Options
    Get private health insurance tbh. I'm with First Assist and any medical stuff I need I get very fast.

What about those that cannot afford to pay?
  • Options
    You don't have to have a lot of money for private health care, although a job is needed really.
  • Options
    You don't have to have a lot of money for private health care, although a job is needed really.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Blatant spam.

MRIs are enormously expensive to have done privately, and private medical insurance is a rip off. Felix, if you put the money you spend on insurance into a savings account every month, you'll find yourself considerably richer and able to pay for whichever tests and investigations you need in cash. Of course if you get it as a job perk then :thumb:
  • Options
    Or become an inpatient.. get it done in a week maximum ;)
  • Options
    True, although I tend not to recommend becoming ill enough to require inpatient treatment. ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Blatant spam.

MRIs are enormously expensive to have done privately, and private medical insurance is a rip off. Felix, if you put the money you spend on insurance into a savings account every month, you'll find yourself considerably richer and able to pay for whichever tests and investigations you need in cash. Of course if you get it as a job perk then :thumb:

I could say don't get car insurance, get a bike instead or a bus to places.

Thing is, if/when I need medical help I do not want to use a dirty hospital that takes months to get an appointment. The longest I've waited for a non-urgent appointment was about 3 weeks.

My friend tore something in his shoulder a while ago while at work which stopped him from working because he couldn't lift it above a certain height. He had to wait 6 months for a scan (MRI I think) and then a further 8 months to have the operation on the NHS. This meant over a year on the dole.

Private health care would of done the scan + op in less than 3 months I think it was.
  • Options
    If you can afford it then by all means, might reduce the queue a wee bit.

If all people that can afford to pay, did then the NHS would be in a better state.

And before you say it, your taxes pay for A+E visits and everything else that the NHS provides or subsidises! :p
  • Options
    I could say don't get car insurance, get a bike instead or a bus to places.
    I've worked for a private hospital for 6 years. I have nothing against private healthcare or insurance. In my experience, however, the insurance companies will exclude and limit cover for as much as they possibly can and will increase the premiums above the rate of inflation every year - and you can't switch insurance companies once you've made a claim without getting exclusions on your new policy. They will exclude all chronic conditions, all preventative or screening investigations and will usually include a hefty excess, payable each year if you claim.
    Thing is, if/when I need medical help I do not want to use a dirty hospital that takes months to get an appointment. The longest I've waited for a non-urgent appointment was about 3 weeks.

My friend tore something in his shoulder a while ago while at work which stopped him from working because he couldn't lift it above a certain height. He had to wait 6 months for a scan (MRI I think) and then a further 8 months to have the operation on the NHS. This meant over a year on the dole.

Private health care would of done the scan + op in less than 3 months I think it was.
    I take the point, but what I'd do is save the money I was spending on insurance for a rainy day. Remember the NHS is always best for cancer, and most illness can be dealt with by a GP, who is obliged to see you within 48 hours.
  • Options
    The Primary Care Trust ist the secret

Hallo
    many replies but may be the story was not right explained from my side.

You don't have to pay private! The Primary Care Trust can permit the treatment as long as the test do not exceed NHS tariffs. So the only costs are traveling expenses.

Regards
    Edzard
  • Options
    edzard wrote:
    You don't have to pay private! The Primary Care Trust can permit the treatment as long as the test do not exceed NHS tariffs. So the only costs are traveling expenses.

Actually, if the service is available on the NHS then they do not have to pay for you to go abroad either. In fact, if you want treatment abroad just to jump the local waiting this then the PCT is not permitted to pay.
  • Options
    Thing is, if/when I need medical help I do not want to use a dirty hospital

How do you know that the private hosipital is clean? Who checks, what is their MRSA rate? Are the subject to the same scrutiny as your local NHS Trust?

My money is on "No".

Forgive me, but if he did it at work then why was he on dole? Surely this was a health and safety issue - his employers certainly would have to keep him on.

Unless he's self-employed. In which case he didn't cover himself, and you cannot blame the NHS for that...
  • Options
    How do you know that the private hosipital is clean? Who checks, what is their MRSA rate? Are the subject to the same scrutiny as your local NHS Trust?

My money is on "No".
    Yes and no. It's not in the industry's interest to have a ward full of MRSA. And all patients being transferred from the NHS (after acute admission, for example) are usually barrier nursed till MRSA swabs come back and many elective admissions have pre-op MRSA swabs.

Not to mention the coroner, who is obliged to review all deaths following surgery, including where MRSA is implicated.

[/Twopenneth]
  • Options
    i was told i've have to wait 9 months for my MRI, but in reality i was seen after about 7 weeks. i think the 9 month thing is quite often to cover their backs, but i think a lot of the time you are seen quicker.
  • Options
    Hallo,
    it seems that some people still live in the past and think if they drink water outside Great Britain they will be poisened.
    If I need a medical test my quality check for an hospital is, what do they do, how often, who is doing it and how old is the equipment. Very simple but effective.
    Kind regards
    Edzard
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    It's not in the industry's interest to have a ward full of MRSA.

It's also not in their interests to declare what their infection rate is ;)

No oversight, little scrutiny (compared to the NHS) and so much more positive publicity. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Healthcare Commission start looking under this little rock...
    Not to mention the coroner, who is obliged to review all deaths following surgery, including where MRSA is implicated.

To be fair though, the death rate is going to be lower in an environment where you do not treat "risky" patients, therefore the coroner is unlikely to be involved very often...
  • Options
    edzard wrote:
    it seems that some people still live in the past and think if they drink water outside Great Britain they will be poisened.

Actually they are more worried about being poisoned in their local hospitals, they just don't like blatant advertising mate.
    If I need a medical test my quality check for an hospital is, what do they do, how often, who is doing it and how old is the equipment.

Add to that how much and who will pay...
  • Options
    To be fair though, the death rate is going to be lower in an environment where you do not treat "risky" patients, therefore the coroner is unlikely to be involved very often...
    Of course, and the MRSA rate too, considering that that irritating little bug is rampant in the nursing homes which keep the NHS busy.
  • Options
    The wait on the NHS depends on the risks etc anyway.

I had to have an MRI of my brain and because my GP was very concerned I was seen within two weeks.

Luckily it turned out ok but I just wanted to say that the wait time isn't random and if the doctor thinks you are at risk of dropping dead you are likely to be seen very quickly!