Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What to take?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Well I'm off to York uni in less than a fortnight, and although I've got stuff to take I realised that I've mainly concentrated on getting cooking stuff, seeing as I will be doing self catering.

I'm not going to take my TV (thus escaping TV license) and so that negates the need for a DVD player (there is one on my laptop anyway) or a video player. My theory is that if I'm desperate to watch something, somebody will have a TV I can watch for a pint or something.

What did you all take to uni for your first year? Did you take too much, not enough, and was there anything crucial that you wish you had taken but didn't think of it at the time?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

KHSS
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didnt take my TV and i only took a small fridge but I was self catering. You quickly learn that you need a TV especially if you dont have a computer or the internet. The first few days can be difficult if you havent made many friends yet and you just wanna watch TV so think about it. Yes the fridge business as well. Do you have one? How big is it? Does it have a freezer compartment? It much better to have ur own one in self catering than relying on a communcal fridge. Stduents are students and wont think twice about drinking your milk from a communcal fridge at 2am.

Also one you may not have thought of is fancy dress and school uniform. School disco happens everywhere so often you always need at the very least an old school tie or blazer and fancy dress too: I used to take a hawaain shirt and a halloween mask at the very least. Anything which saves you money is a must because you'll have so little of it so cram you car full and ask ur rents to take you shopping for supplies as soon as you get there for essentials!!

Self catering can be a lot of fun I picked up a passion for cooking at uni which has stuck with me now and theres nothing more fun that a communal sunday roast or pancake day with ur uni mates!
    Check out this list http://www.studential.com/checklist/

There's loads of stuff you wont need - but it's good for jogging your memory about stuff you do.
    if your parents are moving you up in a car. i would say take loads of food shopping that will be heavy to carry once you get there like tinned food and such, if you can get into a macro or other cash and carry you can stock up on beans, soup and pasta which will be good when the money is running low
    loftx2 wrote:
    Check out this list http://www.studential.com/checklist/

There's loads of stuff you wont need - but it's good for jogging your memory about stuff you do.

That list is great! Thanks for that it's v helpful. :D
    Not all uni's will allow things like fridges in rooms. You need to check what is and is not ok with your uni.
    Well I'm off to York uni in less than a fortnight, and although I've got stuff to take I realised that I've mainly concentrated on getting cooking stuff, seeing as I will be doing self catering.

I'm not going to take my TV (thus escaping TV license) and so that negates the need for a DVD player (there is one on my laptop anyway) or a video player. My theory is that if I'm desperate to watch something, somebody will have a TV I can watch for a pint or something.

What did you all take to uni for your first year? Did you take too much, not enough, and was there anything crucial that you wish you had taken but didn't think of it at the time?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

KHSS

What college are you in?

I'm in Derwent and the JCR common room has a big widescreen TV you can go and watch any old time. You are allowed fridges at York. At least 5 of us on my floor in Derwent D block had them.

2 weeks?! How crazy! I am in York already but now I sat in South Bank waiting to go back to uni. Just a tip. Make sure you do Access All Areas on Monday night. Its absolutely crazy as York campus gets turned into one big drinkathon. The license covers the whole campus so hell you can drink in the lake if you want.

However sadly this year I will be relagated to merely providing first aid cover in my big luminous jacket.
    Well aside from the obvious stuff, I brought my collection of Nazi memorabilia (good ice-breaker), some paper clips of assorted colours (really perks up the lecturer when you hand in your work and it has a funky paperclip) and a garden hoe (for the pimps n ho's party w00t!).

Ok, being serious now, (apart from the hoe which I did actually bring) don't take too much which is the mistake I made. Admittedly, I'm a bass player and a serious one so I had a shit load of musical equipment like amps and stuff but I would seriously recommend a mini-fridge. Even though I was in catered halls, I can imagine that the people at York are just as theiving as the people at Bristol so you may find your food goes missing very quickly if you don't have a fridge of your own.
    What college are you in?

I'm in James, block K.

Only a week and a half to go now... I've started washing all my stuff to take, cleaning out my room and now I am on a mission to track down a mini fridge...

I'll look out for you in your big luminous jacket on Monday night!
    I'm in James, block K.

Only a week and a half to go now... I've started washing all my stuff to take, cleaning out my room and now I am on a mission to track down a mini fridge...

I'll look out for you in your big luminous jacket on Monday night!

Do you know much about James?

Uni tradition is that James is full of the snobs. You will be in the ONLY college without its own bar (however you do have McQ's near you). Your accommodation is easily the best on campus.

On monday night I think there are about 10 - 12 first aiders going to be attending. Last year for the event which was held 6 days later there were 6 ambulances on standby just outside uni grounds in Heslington (find out where Heslington is early on. Theres a mint sandwich shop and the Deramore makes the nicest food ever!). However only 4 ambulances were needed last year for that event. They expecting it to be higher this year. It gets pretty messy!
    checkout http://www.gumtree.com for free stuff like fridges
    I know a couple of people who went to York. One person who is currently studying there in fact, I doubt he'd want me giving out his details though!

York is a nice university to go to. Good departments. I went there on an open day with some friends a couple of years ago and some of the accommodation was erm.. well, the girl showed us her OWN room and you couldn't swing a cat inside it.

If you've got the nicest accommodation on campus everything else should be fairly plain sailing! :)