Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I've got an interview!! Need help on what to wear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an interview for BHS on Wednesday and although it's at a jobcentre I'm not sure what to wear. I was thinking along the lines of jeans and a t shirt but others have said suit trousers and shirt. I'd rather not go all trumped up. I was thinking of just wearing my school uniform (I'll be going from school anyway)

Help :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Um, black trousers and a nice shirt would probably cut it.

Jeans and a T-shirt would be way too informal for a job interview.

Good luck :D
    Jeans and a T shirt = Cant be bothered

School Uniform= Immature

at least how the interviewers will see it
    nooo don't wear jeans and a t-shirt! you really will look like you've not made any effort. just a nice simple suit i'm sure would be fine.
    Black Trousers & White shirt :thumb: you cant go wrong with that. Absolutely do not wear jeans and a t-shirt, it just doesnt give the right impression at all.
    LOL jeans and a tshirt for an interview...getting a job is about showing the interviewer that you are perfect for the job...showing them that you really want it...peoples first impressions of you when you walk through that door will probably set the tone for the whole interview, if you want them to take you seriously and if you want to make a good impression you will wear a smart suit and shirt, or at the very least some smart trousers and a shirt. Definately wear shoes and not trainers. Not only will you feel more confident because you will be wearing "employ me" clothes, but also you will be raising you chances of getting the job.
    The only option I have is to wear my school uniform unless I get permission to leave early. I guess I will just have to get it.

So do you guys think that trousers, shoes and a white shirt with grey checks is OK?
    If its a managment trainee job then you should wear a suit if its just a shop job then, trousers and a shirt I would say.
    Always a suit. My friend is a Manager at Boots he says that the first thing he does when you arrive for an interview is smell you. :) Weird I know but he says what you smell like gives a lot away about a person. He also recommends polished shoes.

Oh and the body language book recommends that the most importance part of your appears is polished shoe heels!! Because it the last impression the interviewer has of you when you leave the interview as he watches you walk away (if you are a bloke) and for girls its the back of the head or bottom (so use hair straighteners or an iron to get out those creases!).
    Cristal wrote:
    Oh and the body language book recommends that the most importance part of your appears is polished shoe heels!! Because it the last impression the interviewer has of you when you leave the interview as he watches you walk away (if you are a bloke) and for girls its the back of the head or bottom (so use hair straighteners or an iron to get out those creases!).

...What?

Jamie, keep your school trousers clean for that day if you can't get time to change them. Polish your shoes before you go, and wear a nice coloured tie, and dab on some nice aftershave before you go too. Pop in an Extra chewing gum on the bus in, as well. Make sure you shave.

Have a look here, too.

http://www.adecco.co.uk/career_preparation
    Cristal wrote:

Oh and the body language book recommends that the most importance part of your appears is polished shoe heels!! Because it the last impression the interviewer has of you when you leave the interview as he watches you walk away QUOTE]

pardon?! i doubt they'll be looking at his shoe heels..anyway since when did men have shoe heels big enough to polish anyway?! and who on earth polishes shoe heels in the first place!
    who on earth polishes shoe heels in the first place!
    Me :blush:
    Me :blush:

Haha! You would! :p Well you are far too meticulous. In your LJ posts, you wouldn't even tell your preggers half the time with the amount of painting/cleaning you post about. :p
    Jazza wrote:
    So do you guys think that trousers, shoes and a white shirt with grey checks is OK?

sounds totally fine.

you know and they know that you are a student looking for a job to pull in extra cash. so as long as you look neat, clean and presentable, you'll be fine. you don't need to wear a suit, and you don't need to win any fashion awards.

iron your shirt, clean your shoes, and you will look spot on.
    1983 wrote:
    Haha! You would! :p Well you are far too meticulous. In your LJ posts, you wouldn't even tell your preggers half the time with the amount of painting/cleaning you post about. :p
    Tis called nesting, petal :p