Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Waterstones Blacklist?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello!

Heres the story:

In July 2004 I got a job at Waterstones in the local shopping centre; I worked for 4 hours trainning and then decided not to go back on my first day (Saturday- it was a saturday job). I wrote a letter and handed in my badge and book etc the next day.

We have two waterstone's in my town, the other one is much bigger. Anyway...I have been toying over applying for a Christmas job there- but do you think they'd accpet me? The shops are about 3mins walk from each other?

There are no other bookshops in my city centre.

Anyone else work for Waterstones? What is it like? What is the pay likeI e-mailed them this morning- got a read recpeit but nothing else. :-(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why didn't you go back?
    It was a year and a half ago...I was shy, immature, virtually incapable of speaking to people, small-minded and incredibly nervous. Additionally the smaller store is inside the shopping cnetre and I was petirifed of getting lost around the passages and doors which lead into it- even tho I was shown twice! I also discovered another floor in the shop which I didn't even know what there; I found it small and cramped and the person who was trainning me left before the end of my time so I was on my own and clueless. I also led a customer up three flights of stairs during that time; only to find out that what she wanted was on the ground floor.

It freaked me out.

However; I've done a lot of growing up this past year!
    They probably will look at it. And you looked untrustworthy, So no-I doubt they will employ you again
    You might as well try, if you don't get accepted, then nevermind. Worth a shot.

Apply to some other places around town instead.
    Apply anyway but don't mention you've ever been accepted for a job at one of their branches before. I always thought Waterstones was a franchise because there are two stores opposite one another in Newcastle, but perhaps they're not.
    Well I got an application form e-mailed to me which I filled out and sent back; not heard anything yet tho! (only sent it last night!)
    I worked for Waterstone's for 7 years. It used to be a lovely place to work but I left because all the staff were being treated like till monkeys!

If you do get a job there, just for xmas, they will have it written into your 'contract' that you cover late evenings, weekends, possibly even xmas eve/new years day depending on their opening hours, so you will have to demonstrate that you are flexible.

I doubt your past job (or the failure to take it up) will be held against you so long as you don't highlight the fact that you had all that training when applying.

It really is just going to be a till job, hoiking books about, helping customers and moving crates about. The best job you can probably get is an unpacker (As far as temp jobs go) because you are out of the way of all the crap.
    ps - I really doubt they will still have you on file or remember you from when you did your training! The staff turnover can be very high and they can't keep records for everyone.

Waterstone's is nice because of the cool people you will meet but the buying of stock is completely centralised now and booksellers make very few decisions about the stock they hold. Temps get a bad deal so far as what hours they work.

but don't be afraid - it is a good temp job to have, more interesting than folding clothes etc!

As far as Waterstone's history goes.... they were bought out ages ago by a company which also owned HMV and other shops, the shops were heavily in debt and so started central buying and doing the whole pile em high, sell them cheap thing - this meant their range was no longer as good as it used to be and Booksellers had to reach really high targets set by head office. At the moment there's talk of Waterstone's buying out Ottakers which would be a disaster for Ottakers because they still manage to keep that 'local' bookshop feel that Waterstones used to have.

The reason why many cities have 2 Waterstones shops is because a few years ago they bought out Dillons. In some towns the Dillons shops were made into Waterstone's but in others they were closed down.

what town are you in by the way - I worked in cardiff and London (Earls court and Hampstead)