Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Diskworld and other Fantasy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I’m currently reading “Postal Service” a Diskworld novel by Terry Pratchett, I have to say its very good, I’m not normally a fan of fantasy, in fact some of them are just so nerdy I took a vow never to read a Fantasy Trilogy there full of bollox.
What Pratchett does is to make the fantasy world part of the real world with bankers engineers journalists, and the basis of an industrial revolution.

The campaign for equal heights was clever objecting to such remarks as “small talk” and “feeling small” again parodying the real world.

In other fantasy you don’t get that you get some stupid hero chasing the dark wizard Agramendong who has caste a spell on the good King, in the Kingdom of something with a long silly name, etc etc.

The only other fantasy I like and its better than Pratchett but of course not as funny is the Conan stories originally by Robert E Howard, these are very dark and almost morbid, very good character
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I do like Discworld. I just finished The Colour of Magic, and I found that to be a wonderful book, so I will be getting more of those in the future to read.
    Indeed. The Discworld books vary but, in general, I enjoy them and think that they are works of genius in places.

They are especially effective when you recognise what books are being parodied.
    and what people and places Mist.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've read the first two, although they were certainly good I didn't like them more than average. I've read other fantasy novels I like better.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I used to read a hell of a lot of Discworld books. I always thought ones involving the Night Watch were the best.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote:
    I used to read a hell of a lot of Discworld books. I always thought ones involving the Night Watch were the best.
    For sure! I used to like the Witches - but only 'cos I hadn't read the Watch books! I think 5th Elephant is my fave, if only for the piss-take of Chekhov in the middle!
    The new book Thud is fantastic i only bought it last week and i have already read the book twice...

The genius of Pratchett now is that he has developed as an author and his stories are about issues which are relevant in our world, they are just set on the discworld. Going Postal is a prime example, it is his view about running public services for profit instead of the good of the community, this is why i enjoy his stories because they may be fantasy but the themes are bout the real world.
    I have only read a few discworld books, but I do love the night watch ones.
    I've read a trilogy of Pratchett's but I don't remember the title... It had to do with tiny beings who lived in a big store and had a tiny talking microchip... What was the title?
    Zalbor wrote:
    I've read a trilogy of Pratchett's but I don't remember the title... It had to do with tiny beings who lived in a big store and had a tiny talking microchip... What was the title?

The Carpet People
    and the microchip was a radio, no ?
    and my fave's probably Reaper Man, but I couldnt really say
    The Carpet People
    and the microchip was a radio, no ?
    Hm, I'm not sure... The microchip turned out to be a part of the spaceship that had brought their ancestors to Earth, it had a mind of its own.

I found the 3rd book in the trilogy, it's called Wings. But I don't know the general title.