Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Legal Secretary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody have any idea as to what sort of qualifications you need to be one?

I have had a quick squiz on google, but am stil none the wiser unforunately

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You normally need to have good secretarial qualifications, and a qualification in typing from RSA or some such organisation wouldn't go amiss either. Experience in audio typing would be important too, as most solicitors will dictate their work to have typed by secretaries.

It's a tough job, solicitors aren't the eaiest people to secretary for.
    i know

i don't have specific secretarial qualifications but i do have nvqs in customer service and admin, and i'm looking into getting a proper typing qualification

any other ideas?
    I'm doing an OCR Level 2 Text Processing course right now - more for something to put on my CV than to actually teach me something! (*prays she doesn't make any typing errors in this post!* hehe). I'm not doing it personally, but there are others in my group doing the Legal Word Processing unit. For the OCR Level 2 qualification, you have to do two units, first the Text Processing one, then another of your choosing - I'm doing Audio Transcription, but there is also Medical, Legal, French, German and Spanish units available, as well as Word Processing (different to Text Processing, apparently!). I'm doing my course at a local college for two hours one evening every week. It's only just started so if you start looking quickly you might be able to find one local to you and join it quicksharp! :) Mine cost just short of £100.
    Ive landed a job as a trainee legal secretary and all i have is higher admin from school and my HND business administration. Maybe you could look for a trainee postion too. I know that I will be eventally trained in audio typing etc.
    thanks for the replies :) the trainee idea isn't bad, i may have to look into it, or fork out money for a local course

i might be starting an evening class in a level law anywho, so see where i go from here
    Welsh Jemz wrote:
    thanks for the replies :) the trainee idea isn't bad, i may have to look into it, or fork out money for a local course

i might be starting an evening class in a level law anywho, so see where i go from here

It's well worth it, also pick up a law a level textbook, maybe like a revision one - just to get yourself up to speed on a lot of things, you might even want to go down the legal executive route later on