Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Backpacking Thailand

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi there, I'm off to Thailand with a mate for seven weeks fairly soon. Just wondered if anyone had any tips about travel photography. If there are any experienced photographers on the boards, I'd like to hear from you.

I use a Canon AE-1 with a standard 50mm lens, 70-210mm Zoom, a 28-55mm Macro and also a wide angle lens. I usually use ISO/ASA 100 film in the camera for taking photographs abroad and of course in general bright, sunny conditions. This camera/film combination has produced some stunning results for me in the past.

Also, would it be worth taking a flash? I'm not too sure how many photos I would take after dark so I don't know if it's worth the extra weight. Any advice in general for travelling with a camera for extended periods would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think that the high humidity in thailand may have affected some of the films that I took over there, as two ended up having fogging.

Not sure what you can do about it, maybe get them developed ASAP?
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    I think that the high humidity in thailand may have affected some of the films that I took over there, as two ended up having fogging.

Good point, might have to look into that. I know that processing is supposed to be pretty cheap out there. What make/type of film were you using and what camera do you have?
  • Options
    I can't quite remember which camera I was using as it was a while ago now. It would most likely have been Kodak 200 film though.

I got a couple of rolls developed in Bangkok and for me as an average user the quality was fine at good price.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:

You should store used films in their plastic canisters to avoid that.

ISO100 wouldn't be much good for indoor shots, especially without a flash. I took Kodak Ultra and ISO200 to Uganda and got some great shots. If you take any at night, you'll need ISO400 really.

And don't forget that with a long lens, the amount of light reaching the film is slightly less anyway.
  • Options
    Aye, I'll take your advice and go with a few of each. I'm thinking I'll develop as I go so I can see what kind of results I'm getting. But on the whole, probably about 99% of the shots I take will be outdoors.