Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Setlling in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just how wondering how people were settling in at their respective universities?

Personally the experience has been amazing so far.
I never knew transition could be made so easily, or that friends could be gained so effortless - yet mean so much to me already.
I can feel that the next 3 years will be some of the most rewarding of my life.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm having a wonderful time personally :D

I'm already amazing mates with my hall girlies, and just tonight a random bloke came into my room, open door ya see, where me and the other girlies were nattering. I offered him a seat, he had brought a bottle of wine and five galaxy choco bars. That was 3+ hours ago and we're meeting for laundry sometime ;p....funny stuff - nothing dodgy or anything - just a new friend - tis good stuff - having a great time :D

I'm also keen on joining RAG and doing all their wacky events and just being really social and going out on the social evenings with other organisations - :)
    Which halls dis you end up in jacq?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Which halls dis you end up in jacq?
    I'm at the Endcliffe Vale Flats. From all the accomodation I have seen, then this is definitely the place to be :)
    Ohh im glad to hear of some positive stuff about your first week or so at uni u lot! I never planned t omove away for uni but seeing ur posts have made me think that maybe i should try and be brave ;)
    i go tomorrow!!
    I've been here for about three weeks now and I'm loving it. Already in the first week I felt as if I had lived here half my life and making friends has been much easier than when I first started College.

Assignments also help me mingle even more with the people in my year. I'm liking it. :D
    Gosh, you guys are lucky. I didn't like my first year at uni. I think I just had lots of people around that were acquainatances rather than friends. We all went round in a massive group because there were 450 people in my halls. yes, they don't build 'em much like that now. In my first year I started haging out in Manchester and made friends and got a boyfriend from Manchester University, so things were better. I remember spending most of my time listening to Oasis and Blur because that's what everyone else was into and singing Wonderwall half drunk. Second year was much better. Meant all the uni friends I still have now, met my ex who I went out with until the end of teh fourth year at uni and we're still friends now. Met some really genuine great girly mates as well and really came into my own.

I would say to anyone who's not having such a great time to hang in there and give it time and if you still really really hate it by near the end of the first year then think about transferring etc. Also, sometimes some of the first people you 'bond' wth make way for a better quality of friend.

If uni is just mediocre but bearble then I reckon it's worth sticking it out. Social life ans skills is a huge part of uni life, but you're there to get an education too, so it's worth concentrating on that when the chips are down. Joining good uni socs is another great way to make some worthwhile friends. I joined the campus radio station and hung out with the dj/news presenter crew, even though I still can't dj to save my life.

It's also a great idea to crash other nearby uni student union bars etc. I went to bradford but was always drinking in leeds main uni bar, as well as UMIST and manchester uni - it was great fun. I'm glad I didn't stay in London for uni otherwise I never would have 'discovered' the north.
    I am liking it but because of a lot of course changes this year I neither know whether I'm coming or going... I'm also sooooo tired.

My flat mates all seem cool and very friendly, but it's hard to meet other people in my accomodation because we can't have parties for some reason and we have no common room. It's relatively friendly in most places, but can be also quite cliquey and trendy... Still, my Human Rights course is pretty cool.

I love Kingston and I'm so glad that not everywhere is as shit as Wrexham. It's a friendly place, but pricey. I've joined the scuba club too... Always wanted to scuba.

I like it here a lot and don't feel so much in stasis anymore, however not being a size ten trendy peroxide blonde, or black, or Muslim or a designer wearing arty looking chick may hinder me in getting in to any social cliques that are already forming... not that I care that much. I get a passport soon so shall be able to get in to clubs however. :) And meet people other than my flat mates.
    I'm having a wonderful time personally :D

I'm already amazing mates with my hall girlies, and just tonight a random bloke came into my room, open door ya see, where me and the other girlies were nattering. I offered him a seat, he had brought a bottle of wine and five galaxy choco bars. That was 3+ hours ago and we're meeting for laundry sometime ;p....funny stuff - nothing dodgy or anything - just a new friend - tis good stuff - having a great time :D

I'm also keen on joining RAG and doing all their wacky events and just being really social and going out on the social evenings with other organisations - :)

I cant beleive you didnt mention meeting me. :p

I moved into a house with 7 people i didnt know this week and Im getting on fine there as well as going out with all my other mates.
    I'm at MMU settling in very well! Missing my friends from home loads but apart from that it's all good. Get on great with my flatmates, have made friends off my course! Also managed to spend £250 in the last 6 days :/ but yeh its all generally good.
    I'm at MMU settling in very well! Missing my friends from home loads but apart from that it's all good. Get on great with my flatmates, have made friends off my course! Also managed to spend £250 in the last 6 days :/ but yeh its all generally good.

careful with your money in your first semester..it's very easy to think ooh look at all this money! *spend spend spend*

i made that mistake, and also made the mistake of thinking i got a new student overdraft each year. oops.
    I've found it sooooo easy to settle in, 3 of the people in my apartment are personal friends and I've really clicked with the rest, it's been amazing...i've just been having a blast, been to 1 lecture so far, yay go me :yippe: though should look out for my finances, spent £400 in 2 weeks, oopss where did that go to? I think my liver could tell you the answer :p:D
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Its going pretty well at the moment.
    i love it so far, i gave my student loan to my dad coz i dont trust myself and he's gonna give me a bit each week so i dont spend it all.

my flatmates are kool and we all get on well, the course is ok so far, but it aint really got goin yet properly.

I'm lovin the nightlife and the cheap drinks!!!
    ha ha - crazy Bradford!
    bad seed wrote:
    Which halls were you in?

Kirkstone for me (not any more though...those were the days)!

Ha ha Kirkstone my uni boyfriend was in Kirkstone K block if I recall correctly. I had friends in Shearbridge and bumped into him around there. I also had a few friends in Trinity. I was up in Laisteridge Lane not far from Pickwicks in Dennis Bellamy Halls... (250 people) which interconnceted with the slightly smaller Revis Barber to tip the numbers to 150. There were 26 people on each floor - one phone line, which soemone cut the cord for nightly as a joke and 2 pay phones between 500 odd people and one kitchen, one bath and two showers per floor. Absolute squalor!!One guy literally lived in a cardboard box in his bedroom - Chris. Brought a whole new meaning to the term roughing it!! More shagging went on in those halls than studying. there were parties very night and I remember people thought I was a right square because I hadn't even kissed anyone until Frebruary of the next term. After that I achieved some strange kudos (it happened to be the 'best looking' guy in a club in leeds.) Needless to say he was on drugs when he decided to get off with me. My next door neighbour was the most popular girl in halls Juicy Lucy from Croydon - a cross between Davina McCall and Lisa Snowdon looks and personality wise. Easily a size ten with a size 16type chest. She would hold beer and beer parties in a room and during frseher's week kept a tally of how many people she got off with. I think teh total came to 43 by the end of week one split with her side kick 'Gloria Gaenor' a blonde from Belpa, Derby who jas been friends with the tragic Maxine from Coronation Street (Tracy Shaw) as a child!!

Katrina, Juicy Lucy's best friend also from the Croydon asked me what I's been up to during "F**k a Fresher's week? Who had I had. No one obviously. Then she blithely told me she'd had 26 different - some who were even in the final year. Oh dear, it was a rude awakening - the thrills and spills and crazy stories of shennaningans in Bradford were never ending. A boy was chucked out of halls for spying on girls getting changed in their doem through binoculars. I was stalked in my first year by "Big Rob" who wanted a London girlfriend at any price. Why me? Who would chase me around t table during the dinner hour. Despite the utter weirdness of my first few months in Bradford or is that Borstall university. I woukdm't change a thing.

Pickwicks, Lingards and £1 entrance into the Maestro Cello nightclub (where there was areal fish pond in teh ladies toilets) more than made up for it. However, after 3 years at Bradford I'm almost curry intolerant. that;s all anyoen ever did - go for a curry 5 days out of 7. Well there were literally 110 curry houses to choose from.

Bad seed are you now curry intolerant too? :wave:
    Enjoy it while you can people. £14,000 later i'm missing uni and wishing I hadnt got a student loan ;)
    I'm in my third year at this university now, but my SECOND first year! I had to leave last year (during my first first year) because of various incidents with another student.. but I'm back now to try again!

I'm doing fine, all settled in. I didn't actually leave over the summer, so I've got my own flat and stuff. Lovely.

I'm trying to help as many freshers to find their footing as possible. I helped one girl to read her timetable this morning because she'd turned up to a term 2 lecture in term 1.

:)
    First week has been awsome so far, met more people in freshers week than i think i have in my life. And those ive 'clicked' with, it feels like ive known them for years :)

Only downside is that everyone (including myseld :( ) seems to currently have 'Freshers Flu'
    Cristal wrote:
    Enjoy it while you can people. £14,000 later i'm missing uni and wishing I hadnt got a student loan ;)

you'd be very lucky to get by without a student loan! at least it comes out of your wages so you might not really notice and it's not like you have to make the effort of paying it. be thankful that you've done before they introduce the £3k odd fees per year!
    I'm in my third year at this university now, but my SECOND first year! I had to leave last year (during my first first year) because of various incidents with another student.. but I'm back now to try again!

I'm doing fine, all settled in. I didn't actually leave over the summer, so I've got my own flat and stuff. Lovely.

I'm trying to help as many freshers to find their footing as possible. I helped one girl to read her timetable this morning because she'd turned up to a term 2 lecture in term 1.

:)

Which you caused!
    im personally having a brilliant time! :D

i think the thing that has made my time here so far so good is because of my flatmates!
    theres 6 of us and im the only girl.. now... before i came to uni that would have been my worst nightmare but im actually loving it! the boys are great (and one in particular i can tell anything! even my best mates back home i cant tell everything!) plus they are always bringing round their new mates from their courses which i cant complain about! ;)

the only *bad* thing about being here is that ive been spending waaay too much money! im on a budget but im not sticking to it! plus ive been drunk a few too many times and already done a few things i regret.. but thats normal i guess! :hyper: