Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Steam Rooms and Sauna's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are the benefits of a steam room and a sauna?

Comments

• Options
    I never used a Sauna up untill a few weeks ago and their alright. I think they can help in getting rid of weight (if you workout and eat well) and they are also good for if your tense and have aching muscles. Look at this, there is loads of stuff here which will help ya :)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=on&q=benefits+of+a+sauna&meta=
  • Options
    I find the steam room helps my skin and sinuses. And saunas (provided you are healthy etc) help to lower blood pressure, reducing tensions in muscles etc.
  • Options
    steam rooms i think are a good way of getting nasty stuff out of your skin..opening the pores and such likes.
  • Options
    Thank you :) How often should I use them and for how long? When, like after exercising or what? I just joined a new fitness club that has tons of both. Though I have feet problems right now so I havn't had a chance to meet with the trainer and ask questions. And I am dead curious. I was also thinking I'd just go in and chill in them abit while i'm waiting to heal before I meet with him and such anyways.
  • Options
    Steam rooms are good for your respiratory system because they make your lungs work harder. I just used to go and chill out in there till I got bored. Never could stand saunas though.
  • Options
    The sweating helps reduce toxins from your body, increases the production of white blood cells and it finally strengthens your immune system. :yes:
  • Options
    ive been goign to my steam and sauna sessions twice a week for the last 5 years and i reccomend it if you can stand the heat, alot of girls find it claustrophobic and uncomftable but us hardcore users can stay in there for hours.

I like to sweat to get rid of all the crap that ive used to abuse my body in the week such as drugs and alcohol and any medication ive been taking. I find that a good sweat also relieves stress and im a lot calmer afterwards. I also like to apply a deep conditioner treatment to my hair and a mask to my face. You can loose weight in a sauna, but its maily water loss and youd have to spend alot of time in a sauna to loose any significant weight.

The steam room is a great place to exfoliate your body and you leave with really soft glowing skin and soft hair.

i have to say that if you are considering going make sure youve eaten first or take some food with you to prevent you from fainting from the heat and take a sugary ice cold drink if you can.

I usually use the one at the gym and it depens on how much time you have. if you want to relax then take an afternoon, if you need to relax muscles then use it after your workout. Your body will tell you how long to use it as it depends on how comftable you feel. Youll just have to try it really...say once a week to begin with and see how you go.
  • Options
    When I had a gym membership a few years ago, the Steam room was a godsend. I have psoriasis and used creams n things whilst in there, and they worked wonders for my skin....

The sauna brings out impurities in the skin through your sweat, I think.

Ilora x