Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Trafficking (again)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so a while ago I posted some information on an article about trafficking based on the Amnesty International information I received in the post. It's horrifying.

So now 19 women have been found in a brothel, locked up with their passports taken away and forced in to sex ('rape' is a better word for it), surrounded by an electric fence. I can't imagine how anybody could do this to a human being, to pay to rape a terrified woman who's treated worse than most animals are, I'm sure most people here can't either.

BBC Source

Yet Mr Blair for some reason can't lift a pen to sign a treaty to protect and offer these women some hope. So these women, what happens to them? Are they to be treated like criminals? or are they going to be sent back to their country? Council of Europe Convention on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings would offer them at least a little help and a place to stay...

After all these are slave, not people over here to dodge taxes or live an easy life.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For your reading pleasure the convention can be found here.

It includes victims of trafficking to be recognised as victims and not criminaks, medical treatment, compensation and help to get their lives together... A residence permit and so on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can't imagine how anybody could do this to a human being, to pay to rape a terrified woman who's treated worse than most animals are, I'm sure most people here can't either.
    I agree its one of the most vial things, but there must be hundreds of thousands of men doing this to women every day, if there wasn't a demand for it, there wouldn't need to be a supply, I think its discusting and cruel to say the least. A lot more should be done to prevent this form of slavery and get it abolished!