Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lynndie England gets 3 years

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4287266.stm

Doesn't seem very long does it?

Though in fairness she should not be made too much of an scapegoat to save the arses of the real guilty parties: her bosses in Iraq, at the Pentagon and of course her Commander-in-Chimp and his government of criminals and torturers.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, it does not seem very long, if you did this at home in your basement would you only get 3 years?

Am I right in my thinking that they were only reservists? Or did I get a false impression somewhere.
  • Options
    Go easy on the girl. It's not like she did something really bad, like protesting the death of her soldier son outside the White House.

I read somewhere that 40% of the troops in Iraq are reservists (or poss. National Guard), but don't quote me on that...
  • Options
    I think it's way too long. She should have been given two hours comunity service - max.
  • Options
    She should have got triple that - I originally heard the term of ten years which sounds about right. Disgrace to the uniform.

Of course I'm just wondering when we'll get the bleats of prison doesn't work or cries to look at their deprived backgrounds - or is that only for civilians?
    No, it does not seem very long, if you did this at home in your basement would you only get 3 years?

To be fair I doubt that you'd have even been imprisoned if you were a civilian (not that you'd be in a similar position). England et al were lawfully holding them - so it wasn't kidnap. The sexual and physical assault were more humiliation than physical damage or pain and I'd be very suprised for a first offence if people would be jailed for it in the civilian world.

However soldiers who commit war crimes should be treated more harshly than civilian counterparts
  • Options
    I think it's way too long. She should have been given two hours comunity service - max.
    Is that the best you can do? :D
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    She should be made to clean the streets of New Orleans, and then have life in Gauntanamo.
  • Options
    Three years admittedly doesn’t sound very long. However, I’d imagine three years in a military prison is a very long hard time. And I think the panel were a little more qualified to decide on the sentence than us.

I don’t know her personal circumstances other than that she used to be a chicken factory worker. The US spends billions targeting those on low incomes to join the armed forces; it wouldn't surprise me if for this soldier it was 'economic conscription' that took her to Iraq. The Poverty Draft.

To go from working in a chicken factory to working in an Iraqi prison is a pretty big contrast. Maybe she just couldn't cope with everything psychologically. I don't know really but I think that the US army is as much to blame as the individuals involved, the US army should have been keeping a much closer eye and helping people who are clearly young and inexperienced and perhaps can't cope.
  • Options

..after all the victims were asking for it, walking around that with skin tone FFS, just what did they expect.
  • Options
    Three years admittedly doesn’t sound very long. However, I’d imagine three years in a military prison is a very long hard time. And I think the panel were a little more qualified to decide on the sentence than us.

I don’t know her personal circumstances other than that she used to be a chicken factory worker. The US spends billions targeting those on low incomes to join the armed forces; it wouldn't surprise me if for this soldier it was 'economic conscription' that took her to Iraq. The Poverty Draft.

To go from working in a chicken factory to working in an Iraqi prison is a pretty big contrast. Maybe she just couldn't cope with everything psychologically. I don't know really but I think that the US army is as much to blame as the individuals involved, the US army should have been keeping a much closer eye and helping people who are clearly young and inexperienced and perhaps can't cope.
    i hate to think how she treated the chickens.
  • Options
    the victims were asking for it, walking around with that skin tone FFS, what did they expect.

Do you want to get banned racist?
  • Options

I think my views are well known on this board, as are yours. Let the others decide which of us is racist, shall we?
  • Options
    LOL that's funny...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    LOL that's funny...

If you are three or so.

I am guessing at this rate he is about 12 and a bit of an annoying one.
  • Options
    Thanks for the e-mail Slippy
    fuck off you trolling cunt.

Made my day :)
  • Options
    I always suspected you night be a troll, Mok

Now I know the truth..............!
  • Options
    me thinks when BS starts sending abusive e-mails that's he probably not long for the site
  • Options
    I sent that email for a laugh as he was being an ass. Man of Kent is clearly infatuated with skin colour, hounding me for months accusing me of 'racism', so he can avoid debating the issue in point. He is trying to paint me as a BNP supporter who is beyond all help and rational debate - somthing that he is cearly terrified of.

Well, he did admit to voting New Labour.
  • Options
    I sent that email for a laugh as he was being an ass. Man of Kent is clearly infatuated with skin colour, hounding me for months accusing me of 'racism', so he can avoid debating the issue in point. He is trying to paint me as a BNP supporter who is beyond all help and rational debate - somthing that he is cearly terrified of.

Perhaps if I send you abusive e-mails the Judge might also thinks it's a laff. and as far as I'm aware MoK has never said who he votes for (I could have a guess but I might be wrong).

If you don't want to be thought of as a racist - you need to up your debating skills a bit. I'm right wing and I think you're a racist.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Perhaps if I send you abusive e-mails the Judge might also thinks it's a laff.

MoK started the abuse, look in the junk food banned thread. For no other reason other then the fact he did not like what I had to say, he calls me a fuckwit and that was before I sent that email.
  • Options
    MoK started the abuse, look in the junk food banned thread. For no other reason other then the fact he did not like what I had to say, he calls me a fuckwit and that was before I sent that email.

Up your argument and proove him wrong. I don't always (often) agree with MoK, but I respect him. If you could put your point across like him you'd gain respect as well. You don't and come over as a racist.

Take this as friendly advice, because I'd much rather other right wingers put forward decent arguments, than didn't and tarred the rest of us who vote Tory as further to the right than Hitler.
  • Options
    I sent that email for a laugh as he was being an ass.

Not the first one though, is it?
    He is trying to paint me as a BNP supporter who is beyond all help and rational debate - somthing that he is cearly terrified of.

I don't need to "paint you" as anything, you do a very good job of outing yourself. As for being terrified, I think your ego gets the better of you. All I seek is to make sure that you are seen for what you are and that you comments can be read in that context.

I did?

Can you source that?

I'd lay a few hundred quid on you not being able to.