Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Hair dye advise

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I recently had all my long hair cut off, it's been dyed very dark brown for a number of years. I now want to go to a golden brown colour. The hair dresser put some streaks in it to see how it went about 4 weeks ago. I would like to give it a go at home to save some money, I dont know what will happen if I use an off the shelf golden brown on top of my current dark brown which currently has blonde and red bits in it.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah that fashion forum ;)

I've been dying my hair/friends at home for years and i've not had a disaster yet, but because your hair is different colours to begin with, once you've put the new colour on top, its more than likely that different bits of your hair will take the colour differently and there for come out a different colour.
    You could ask your hair dresser for advice, without actually having to have your hair done there. Or as a back up just buy some darker hair dye to cover it over if it turns out a bit dodgy!
    You won't successfully dye over dark brown hair, with a lighter colour. Dark brown is notoriously difficult to get rid of.

I'd say, you're best bet is to have it done professionally.

Ilora x
    Deffo get it done at the hairdressers first, atleast after that you are likely to have less of a problem if you want to do it at home from there on in.
    Save up go to the hairdressers a good one. It's worth forking it out for to get it done properly!

There are two tests you can do a hair patch test, where they dye a small patch of hair to see what colours you can take or a strand test for the whole hair shaft and a slightly wider section of hair. Would say go for full strand test. Your hair is precious. look after it. I'm moving this to fashion.
    Thanks, looks like its the hair salon again then !