Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'junk food' banned in schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4287712.stm

even though all foods are alright in the right amounts, and theyll still be getting crap quality, poorly cooked food from ndertrained staff and would have been brought up on supermarket ready meals etc

all starts in the home im afriad and most parents on the whole are lazy sods as in they dont even teach their kids how to cook even just simple food like eggs etc

this place had the right idea
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4286096.stm

simple, nice and good food :)

Comments

• Options
    It is certainly not enough but nonetheless a step in the right direction. It's nothing short of a disgrace that a so-called labour government sells lucrative contracts to contractors allowed to populate school corridors everywhere with machines vending all sorts of shit (and in some cases it's not even allowed to remove them until the long contracts run out).
  • Options
    parents on the whole are lazy sods as in they dont even teach their kids how to cook

Kids should not need to cook.

I think something good has emerged from the current haze of Labour's Draconian policies. Schools could easily serve food like chicken soup made in large quantities and bread for lunch instead of the Mc Donald’s type of crap they get now. Personally though I would give my kids a packed lunch whatever changes were made.
  • Options

I think something good has emerged from the current haze of Labour's Draconian policies. Schools could easily serve food like chicken soup made in large quantities and bread for lunch instead of the Mc Donald’s type of crap they get now. Personally though I would give my kids a packed lunch whatever changes were made.

okay i didnt quite mean it in that context

exactly packed lunches are often a good idea - but on the tv all i see are adverts for cheese strings etc and dairylea lunchables etc which are okay treats but not a regular lunch material - some nice sandwiches, some fruit and a can of drink or bottle of juice/water etc would be perfect - well id like that :D

and i meant children arent taught where to cook anywhere these days, and i mean secodnary school kids in particular, food tech classes were about mass producing crap with free promotional vids from manufacturers - and parents dont show their kids how to cook even if by example

one simple problem i reckon, people rely far too much upon convenience, yes its good every so often ;) but not for bringing up an entire generation
  • Options
    and i meant children arent taught where to cook anywhere these days, and i mean secodnary school kids in particular, food tech classes were about mass producing crap with free promotional vids from manufacturers - and parents dont show their kids how to cook even if by example

Life skills are indeed very important, especially cooking as it's what your putting in your body and we only have one body. My granny taught me everything I know at a very young age, I was very lucky. One of my previous mates at halls only knew how to cook noodles - other times he'd eat out (mainly junk) and he didn't know how to look after himself in terms of cleaning his room, so the majority of the time it was a pigsty and fast became a health hazzard. I found it quite sad to be honest.
  • Options
    go_away wrote:
    Life skills are indeed very important, especially cooking as it's what your putting in your body and we only have one body. My granny taught me everything I know at a very young age, I was very lucky. One of my previous mates at halls only knew how to cook noodles - other times he'd eat out (mainly junk) and he didn't know how to look after himself in terms of cleaning his room, so the majority of the time it was a pigsty and fast became a health hazzard. I found it quite sad to be honest.

word :thumb:

i dont know how to make many things ie recipies, however i can make up new things like that since i was taught all the basic ways of cooking (other than pastry thingscause im terrible at that)
  • Options
    aye exactly, plenty of students i know can't even scramble an egg, which sets them in poor stead for looking after their health, and their kids in the future........a lot of basic skills have been lost from the older generations, because food is now too easily available and cheap to buy ready made, most people forget that it's also not that good for you, there simply isn't enough emphasis on nutrition at school......seeing fat kids, and i mean 6-7 years old, quite upsets me because what kind of life have their parents given them? a short cholesterol-ridden one that's what......
  • Options
    and parents dont show their kids how to cook even if by example

We eat quite healthy & when old enough James will learn how to aswell. I doubt everyone does this but some do.
  • Options

They are going to be adults one day fuckwit. You think we knew how to cook the day we turned 18.

Sure kids shouldn't have to fend for themselves but childhood is for learning and there aren't many more important lessons than learning how to ensure that there is decent food on the table.
  • Options
    http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4287712.stm

all starts in the home im afriad and most parents on the whole are lazy sods as in they dont even teach their kids how to cook even just simple food like eggs etc

:)
    not my household.
    shock horror all my kids can and do cook.
    how so?
    cos the state the media and the consumption companies had less influence in my families life than the parents did ...oh shock horror ...i should be locked up!
  • Options
    Please... England has terrible food. I think kids should have vegetables in school, fried in lard.
  • Options
    Please... England has terrible food. l .
    if you were raised here the cruelty people should have removed you from your parents many years ago.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    About time school food was improved, perhaps they'll get rid of the rats now too? That was funny... snuck in to get some free Coke and donuts, nearly trod on a sodding one.

I think they should all get milk and biscuits, like in Nursery. But remeber, you can't dunk the buscuit in the milk, or the people go mega spack out.
  • Options
    if you were raised here the cruelty people should have removed you from your parents many years ago.

i dont exactly understand. though i wasnt raised here. and i love food. i love to eat. i love to eat. i love to eat. i love to eat. and we always had quality home cooked food when i was young. but because i love food. i also love junk food. like the horrible ones, mcdonalds, kfc. mmm yum. but since i always ate proper food before, i dont always eat chips with mushy peas and crap curry sauce. in fact i dont eat that stuff at all. and because theres no quality food in fast food places i cook me own food. which is something a lot of people here cant do. so they always go to the chippys and eat deep fried whatever. its a pity i think. but hey thats england for you. you gotta love what is there and not what youd like to be ther.

whatever man.
  • Options
    i dont exactly understand. though i wasnt raised here. and i love food. i love to eat. i love to eat. i love to eat. i love to eat. and we always had quality home cooked food when i was young. but because i love food. i also love junk food. like the horrible ones, mcdonalds, kfc. mmm yum. but since i always ate proper food before, i dont always eat chips with mushy peas and crap curry sauce. in fact i dont eat that stuff at all. and because theres no quality food in fast food places i cook me own food. which is something a lot of people here cant do. so they always go to the chippys and eat deep fried whatever. its a pity i think. but hey thats england for you. you gotta love what is there and not what youd like to be ther.

whatever man.
    ahhhh.
    if you cook your own food and was brunged up on home cooking thats different.
    slagging off the fast fat outlets is fair game and yes many people actualy believe those fat places represent english cooking!
    i blame all this education.
  • Options
    yes. its good junk food is banned in schools now. do english school have home ec for guys? ie cooking.

that nude cook jamie must be proud.
  • Options
    yes. its good junk food is banned in schools now. do english school have home ec for guys? ie cooking.

that nude cook jamie must be proud.
    when i was was 16 ...a long time ago now ...we were the first last year in school boys to have cookery lessons.
    we had a choice ...history ...with a giant evil scary old bastard or cookery ...with a very pretty young thing in a short skirt ...i chose cookery.
  • Options
    not my household.
    shock horror all my kids can and do cook.
    how so?
    cos the state the media and the consumption companies had less influence in my families life than the parents did ...oh shock horror ...i should be locked up!

yeh in the school canteen :D:p
  • Options
    I'd like to learn how to cook certain things. I can do eggy dishes, like omelette, scrambled egg etc, and I know how to cook sausages/chips/pasta and the like, but tbh I'd like to know all the basics. I still get in a dither over how to boil an egg.

Food Tech. at school was useless. Rather than teach us useful, basic things like boiling an egg, or what goes into a good pasta sauce, it was all puddings instead, like jam rolls and apple crumbles. And you'd have forgotten the technique by the next week anyway.