Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

slight filrting while in relationships?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, what are everyones views on slight filrting whilst in a relationship? my mate has been with his g.f for 3yrs now and last nite went out with me+got drunk. he fancied 2 girls that we met via another of his friends. nothing happened, he didnt cheat at all, but he wouldnt stop telling me all night how these girls were gorgeous! and he flirted with them, nothing heavy, just chatting+dancing, but he got one of the girls numbers+now keeps texting her. Shes texting bk+seems happy bout it, as she sees him as a new mate, but i think he's reading more into - although im not sure!
is this normal? i mean, when a guys been in a relationship for so long, is this right??
thanx

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't be happy with it if he was my bf. I'm so insecure I'd probably die on the spot if I found out he liked the look of someone else.

Chattings okay, I guess. It depends on how intimate the dancing was. And I think he was out of order getting the girls number... it obviously wasn't just to be mates with her.
  • Options
    I'd kill him tbh. If you're with someone there's no need to look at anyone else.
  • Options
    I can't make any decent advice without knowing more about it, tbh.

If he is just having a flirt and a dance with a gorgeous girl then what's the big deal? I do it every now and again, and I know the wife flirts shamelessly with the good-looking waiters when she goes out for a meal with the girls. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a laugh, and it's quite fun.

If he's wanting something more then it indicates a greater problem in his relationship, and it's something he would need to work on with his girlfriend.
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    I'd kill him tbh. If you're with someone there's no need to look at anyone else.

Wow. You don't think that murder is a bit extreme?

Just because you're going out with someone doesn't mean that you cease to find other people attractive. It also shouldn't stop you being friends with people of the opposite sex.

Now, if he was to make a move on the girl and start kissing her and stuff then maybe that's something to bother about, but I don't think that a bit of conversation counts as flirting, really.
  • Options
    I would hate it alot. If i found out i would become so paranoi and probably lose trust in him. I see flirting as something someone does when attracted to the opposite sex to get them to like you and maybe a lot more then that. If your taken then that is something you should not do, its like your practically looking for someone else.
  • Options
    i'd be jealous if i had a bf and he went out drooling over other girls and dancing with them.....if its a serious relationship then a quick flirt with someone is fine....i think he's going abit far with getting her number and texting her though. Does she know he's taken??
  • Options
    I wouldnt be happy with that.
    It would seriously piss me off and make me feel jealous.
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:

blimey, a bit harsh me thinks.

everyone looks at people..regardless of whether you're in a relationship or not. thing is, there's a difference between looking and actually wanting.
  • Options
    blimey, a bit harsh me thinks.

everyone looks at people..regardless of whether you're in a relationship or not. thing is, there's a difference between looking and actually wanting.
    She probably didnt mean she was actually going to murder him in cold blood tbh.

I do think whats described though is a bit more than slight flirting.
    Thats full on flirting and i think its a safe bet that most women would feel a bit threatened by that sort of behaviour.
  • Options
    i guess it all depends what he says in the texts doesnt it. they could be innocent or maybe not.

from my experience, guys dont spend all their time texting a girl unless they fancy them and want something more.

i also think the same rule applies for her.
  • Options
    She probably didnt mean she was actually going to murder him in cold blood tbh.

i know, but she says that if you're with someone that there's no need to look at any one else..!
  • Options
    I fully believe that if you're with someone then it's entirely disrespectful to flirt with other girls to the extent of taking their number.
  • Options
    k@tie wrote:
    I fully believe that if you're with someone then it's entirely disrespectful to flirt with other girls to the extent of taking their number.

yes but to look at someone?
  • Options
    But he wasnt just looking, he took her number.
  • Options
    here's what i mean....
    k@tie wrote:
    If you're with someone there's no need to look at anyone else.
  • Options
    I don't think there is to the extent of flirting and taking their number.
  • Options
    not being funny Lucifer, but I dont think she meant `looking at someone else` to mean glancing in someones direction.
    If I said "when im in a relationship I dont even look at anyone else" it wouldnt mean I keep my eyes permanently closed - It would mean that I dont look at anyone else in that way. .

I just thought thats what the phrase meant. Ive heard it used by other people IRL, but obviously on here its hard to get proper meanings across when you dont have tone of voice etc to go by. Its very easy to take every little phrase completely literally, when thats not necessarily how it was intended.
  • Options
    Cheers RB :thumb:
  • Options
    have to say, i would be well cheesed off if mr. k got some girl's number in that kind of circumstance.

looking is fine, a little flirting is fine, but swapping numbers and texting non-stop? there would be tears at bedtime.
  • Options
    does the girl he picked up know he's in a relationship?
  • Options
    What if the guy took the girls number and text her for a week non-stop she picked him up from a night out and then he told her he was with someone - cos that happened to me
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote:
    What if the guy took the girls number and text her for a week non-stop she picked him up from a night out and then he told her he was with someone - cos that happened to me
    I dont think anyone said it was the girls fault.
  • Options
    I didn't mean it like that, I just wanted people opinions on that situation
    Sorry I'm talking rubbish ignore me - say things but dont mean them to sound they way they come out
    Sorry
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    It also shouldn't stop you being friends with people of the opposite sex.

it depends if he tells her or not... if he talks to girls behind her back its a differents story...

anyway the fact he texts her all the time is bad enough i would consider that cheating! my bf did that and i found out about it because i knew the girl anyway so i broke it off. i think its a trust issue really.
  • Options
    well, every girl that's answered has pretty much the same idea that i do, although i wouldn't kill him i'd split up with him if i'd found out, serial texting, flirting and dancing with another girl means one simple thing, he's not interested in his gf anymore.
  • Options
    Right....being a guy in a long term relationship, i would never go as far as getting another girls number. I mean, thats just asking for trouble. If thats your game, break up with your missus.
    But, as for flirting, im not saying that id like it if my girlfriend was/has/does/will flirt with guys, but in the end, a bit of perspective is needed....a wink and a nudge isnt penetration so....come on, we're only human.