Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Australia To Be Used For Storing The World`s Nuclear Waste

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Howard-told-NT-wont-become-nuclear-dump/2005/09/27/1127586834012.html?oneclick=true

What do you guys think, good or bad idea?

I think it`s a good idea, the world`s Nuclear waste needs to be stored somewhere - Australia has a small population and a huge amount of land that isnt and wont be used, but more importantly the land is stable - no hurricanes, no earth quakes, etc

Comments

• Options
    That link is a bit dodgy, leads to a registration page........
  • Options
    Some more info in these links:
    http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=uk&q=australia+nuclear+waste&btnG=Search+News

It's a good idea if you don't have to live anywhere near it. NIMBY!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blast it all INTO SPACE!

Ahem. Bad Idea, surley their are better places? Such as not on Earth? I mean, sooner of later it will catch up with us, lets face it... lets get rid of it once and for all.

We could even blast it at the sun for some cool pyro effects as it melts.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Blast it all INTO SPACE!.

Far too risky as recent NASA experiements show us, you could end up making a huge dirty bomb by accident.
  • Options
    Australia seems as reasonable a place as anywhere else.
  • Options
    Australia seems as reasonable a place as anywhere else.

Even better because its not here.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    That link is a bit dodgy, leads to a registration page........

That`s weird it didn`t when I went there via Google News
  • Options
    This is a very good link

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne161/ncabreza/sources.html

As far as I know Nuclear Power is the cleanest way of making electricity at such high volumes

Nuclear waste is contained in barrels and containers, whilst carbon waste is pumped into the air and contributes to global warming.

Quoted from link above
    The use of nuclear power since 1973 has been able to offset the demand for electricity provided by oil and coal, thus decreasing the mentioned figures significantly. In a span of twenty years, electricity generated by nuclear power plants averted the cumulative emission of 1.6 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide, 65 million tons of sulphur dioxide, and 27 million tons of nitrogen oxides.

The only environmental drawback associated with the use of nuclear power is where to store the radioactive waste. Studies show that geological disposal is the answer. In this way, no radiation will be emitted into the environment, thus keeping the public safe from its emissions.

As for the belief that nuclear power plants emit cancer causing radiation into the environment, there exist no sufficient evidence that can prove this. In fact, the use of nuclear power plants only add a very tiny fraction of radiation exposure to the more common types of radiation (i.e. cosmic rays from outer space, radon gas, television sets, watch dials, smoke detectors, etc...). In numbers, the average radiation dose rate people get from the common types of radiation is about 360 millirem. Nuclear power plants would increase this dosage rate by only 1 millirem.

Economic Aspects
    Because the fuel used in nuclear power plants exist in abundant supply, the price is very cheap, unlike for fossil fuels where the supply is finite and slowly diminishing. A typical fuel pellet cost about $7. This one fuel pellet has an equivalent energy of three barrels of oil, which cost $84, or one ton of coal, which cost $29. In 1993, the fossil fuels displaced by nuclear energy totaled: 470 million tons of coal and 96 million barrels of oil which translated to about $17 billion. By using nuclear energy at $7 per pellet, a savings of about $13 billion was generated in just one year.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Far too risky as recent NASA experiements show us, you could end up making a huge dirty bomb by accident.

Who'd use NASA? Russia space rocket program has been far safer.

Besides, the threat of a dirty bomb keeps us all on our toes, right? :p Nah, there is a fuck-off risk that the powerplant could go critical anyway. One already has. We haven't stopped using them yet!

I'd rather run the risk than have the good ol' dodgey dumping companies going on. With dubious saftey concerns already, and waste being dumped not actually at its location but sinking and falling off boats. Meh. Perhaps we could throw it in volcanes just for fun? Also in a heat proof container.. sinks into the magma, gets hotter lower down and dissolves.

Hmm. Or goes explode.
  • Options
    Well we used to store our social waste there so I don't see anything wrong with storing nuclear waste there. Or on the Isle of Man.
  • Options
    Well we used to store our social waste there so I don't see anything wrong with storing nuclear waste there. Or on the Isle of Man.
    :lol: Politically Incorrect, but true and funny.

Fuck it, just get the Russian Mafia to dispose of it in some old Soviet republic where there aren't even aware Brezhnev is out of power.
  • Options
    This is a very good link

http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne161/ncabreza/sources.html

As far as I know Nuclear Power is the cleanest way of making electricity at such high volumes

Nuclear waste is contained in barrels and containers, whilst carbon waste is pumped into the air and contributes to global warming.

Quoted from link above
    The use of nuclear power since 1973 has been able to offset the demand for electricity provided by oil and coal, thus decreasing the mentioned figures significantly. In a span of twenty years, electricity generated by nuclear power plants averted the cumulative emission of 1.6 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide, 65 million tons of sulphur dioxide, and 27 million tons of nitrogen oxides.

The only environmental drawback associated with the use of nuclear power is where to store the radioactive waste. Studies show that geological disposal is the answer. In this way, no radiation will be emitted into the environment, thus keeping the public safe from its emissions.

As for the belief that nuclear power plants emit cancer causing radiation into the environment, there exist no sufficient evidence that can prove this. In fact, the use of nuclear power plants only add a very tiny fraction of radiation exposure to the more common types of radiation (i.e. cosmic rays from outer space, radon gas, television sets, watch dials, smoke detectors, etc...). In numbers, the average radiation dose rate people get from the common types of radiation is about 360 millirem. Nuclear power plants would increase this dosage rate by only 1 millirem.

Economic Aspects
    Because the fuel used in nuclear power plants exist in abundant supply, the price is very cheap, unlike for fossil fuels where the supply is finite and slowly diminishing. A typical fuel pellet cost about $7. This one fuel pellet has an equivalent energy of three barrels of oil, which cost $84, or one ton of coal, which cost $29. In 1993, the fossil fuels displaced by nuclear energy totaled: 470 million tons of coal and 96 million barrels of oil which translated to about $17 billion. By using nuclear energy at $7 per pellet, a savings of about $13 billion was generated in just one year.

slighlty biased document that is btw

the cost of nuclear fuel is cheap, and more can be made in plants with breeder reactors as well

the cost is in commisioning and decommisioning them, and storing the eventual waste somewhere safe, as nuclear waste would be wonderful in a dirty bomb for example

region of about 10billion pound to decommision a nuclear power plant it is
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Politically Incorrect

When do you think that has ever been an issue for me!?
  • Options
    When do you think that has ever been an issue for me!?

Thankfully, never. Keep it up, see you in jail! :thumb:
  • Options
    That's fine by me. Pass the soap.
  • Options
    :eek2: *Backs slowly up to wall*