Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Are Beta Blockers addictable?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm on them for my panic attacks and i think they might be giving me some rather unwanted side affects (not going into detail) so i have to do a day at school without taking them tomorrow to see if it is them or not. My mum and 1 of my best friends say i'm getting atticted to them because i didn't want to do a day at school without it....because im still not 100% ok, but better. Anyway.....i was just wondering if beta blockers really are addictable??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addictable? Or maybe addictive?

No, they're not.
    No, I shouldnt have thought so

What dose arer you on for panic attacks? I seem to have panic attacks before my driving test(s)
    Kentish wrote:
    Addictable? Or maybe addictive?

No, they're not.
    same thing...im tired :p

char baby im on 40mg tablets, propanolol i take 1 in the morning before school
    Every day?
    yeah, well on school days so 5 times a week
    Ballerina wrote:
    same thing...im tired :p

char baby im on 40mg tablets, propanolol i take 1 in the morning before school
    I've tried propanolol for migraines and anxiety but thinking about getting them re-prescribed for panic attacks
    Have either of you tried non-pharmacological options?
    Char_Baby wrote:
    I've tried propanolol for migraines and anxiety but thinking about getting them re-prescribed for panic attacks
    yeah theyre good, i took mine for 2 weeks then it was the summer hols, so i didnt have them as often, now ive been back about 3 weeks theyre starting to give me side affects :( well i think they are anyway....
    Kentish wrote:
    Have either of you tried non-pharmacological options?
    like?
    Counselling, CBT...talking to a friend over a nice cup of tea...

If you take propanolol every day for anxiety, you need to consider what you are anxious about and whether there is anything you can change about the trigger (e.g. school).
    Kentish wrote:
    Counselling, CBT...talking to a friend over a nice cup of tea...

If you take propanolol every day for anxiety, you need to consider what you are anxious about and whether there is anything you can change about the trigger (e.g. school).
    i did have councelling at school, unfortunatly there's not much you can change about school....i think i'm going to continue councelling outside of school too
    i had the weirdest side effects on them (didn't take them every day though, just as and when) i started on 40mg but my body just couldn't take it and it s l o w e d r i g h t d ow n. very odd. i switched to 20mg, and then to 10. 10 worked the best. there's not much to me though, so...

i found i couldn't concentrate on anything. felt as if i'd just woken up permanently. i'd get half way through a sentence and forget not only what i'd been saying, but what day it was and why i was wherever i was.
    If you have an addictive personality anything can be psychologically addictive. i might be wrong but i dont think that beta blockers can cause chemical dependancy which is where your body actually needs the drug. good luck with the panic attacks, i hope you can find a way to overcome them
    My fella has to take em 4 times a day for migrains, so i hope they aint addictive for him.
    I took them a few years ago now for panic attacks, but i took them as & when i needed them, can't you do that?
    They certainly could be habit forming, if you cant feel you can face school without them then you already have a form of dependance on the drug.
    That's not dependence on the drug, that's dependence on a drug.
    Kentish wrote:
    That's not dependence on the drug, that's dependence on a drug.

The net result is very similar though isnt it.
    Tweety wrote:
    I took them a few years ago now for panic attacks, but i took them as & when i needed them, can't you do that?
    i do take them as and when i need them....i had major problems with school just before summer, and i either refused to go, or ended up in such a state they'd send me home anyway, i'm alot better now - but even if i don't particuarly feel threatened, i can get them for no reason....and i still get the symptoms in the morning sometimes....i'm waiting till i know i'm going to have an easy day then try a day without. But at the moment i'm loaded with work so it's not really a good time yet. Anything can trigger one, so i don't want to be having 1 in the middle of school...which is horrible because the nurse (who sends you home) is really horrible about it.
    bongbudda wrote:
    The net result is very similar though isnt it.
    An important difference. She's asking if beta blockers are addictive and no, they are not.
    1 of my friends keeps telling me i'm addicted and that i don't need them or councelling, he seems against help for mental problems for some reasons even though he has depression himself...
    I've never taken them everyday if i feel an attack comin ill take one but never as a regular pattern. I found counselling has helped me the most out of everything.
    Kentish wrote:
    An important difference. She's asking if beta blockers are addictive and no, they are not.

I can see what you mean, but whether or not its a physical addiction doesnt really change the fact that they can be habit forming.