Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Parents income & independent student status

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Although I live with my parents I pay them rent and also pay towards bills and food like a lodger would. I am applying to university to begin in 2006 and it states in the guidelines:
You have supported yourself for at least three years before the start of the academic year of your course. This includes any time when you:

• were in paid full-time employment;

When my course starts I will have been working full time for three years and four months. However, in the 'examples' section the example it gives of an independent student is someone who lives away from their parents home. The thing is I'd say my parents are more financially dependent on me than I am on them!

What are my chances of being assessed as independent? Am I going to have to move in with a friend? :chin:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I had problems with my student forms when I did it again recently. It is all very confusing and things.

We sorted it out by phoning them. I would phone your LEA/student support people and explain that although you live with your parents you pay them dig money and have worked the last 3 years and stuff.

Half of what they say makes no sense. In one part of the form if I was 21 or under I had to declare my parents income too. However, what about those who are married at 21?

Tis all bizarre. I would give them a call :yes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you are 21 you are independent of your parents and dependent on your spouse's income to support you while you are a student. It does get confusing but it is explained in the guidance notes of the PN1/PR1 forms.

I think the form needs to be re-worded tbh. It was all really confusing as I was trying to apply for tuition support only. Not a loan. But it kept wanting me to fill out my spouse's details for a loan too. Being a student teacher this wasn't really relevant to the support I was going to get (all student teachers - home ones anyway - should get their fees paid).

We did the application online so didn't have any of the other forms. And when we phoned the student support people they were fairly confused too. They just didn't seem to understand that I didn't want a loan!

But it is done now. They don't make these application processes easy for students.
    Thanks to both of you for the help. It is pretty confusing! I had it all worked out until I read something about not being able to be classified as independent if I lived with them. Grrr! I've emailed my LEA and they quoted me the guidelines instead of actually answering my question outright :chin:
    They make the forms difficult to understand so it puts people off reading them properly and applying for money.
    BumbleBee wrote:
    Thanks to both of you for the help. It is pretty confusing! I had it all worked out until I read something about not being able to be classified as independent if I lived with them. Grrr! I've emailed my LEA and they quoted me the guidelines instead of actually answering my question outright :chin:

I would phone them. They can fob you off in email. Over the phone you can ask what you need and if they don't help then you can ask for more details and things :)