Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Agency Commissions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone have any percentage figures on what various Agents and Employment Agencies get?

I once worked at a company and we found out the Agency was taking more then 50% of the money given by the company. So like the company was paying an agency like 15 pounds an hour for someone work for them.

But the girl working for us via the Agency was getting like 7 pounds and the agency was getting like 8.

I went to a presentation on the weekend and they said if you write a Book, and the book sells for 4.99 in the shops you`ll most likely get only 2.5% whilst your book agent could get 15% - anyone know if this sort of figure is correct? :eek2:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I heard that my agency beginnig with the letter R made 3 times what i was earning, so if i made £6 phr they made three times of that. Its money waste for the company, i dont understand why they do it.
    Getting agency staff is easy. They don't have to worry about tax/ni or owt.
    They pay the agency's invoice, and they have the staff. Simple.
    The agency do the actual employment.

They pay for the privilege, of course :p but if you need someone for a week (for instance) then it's a good idea and saves a lot of faffing about.
    When I worked for my agency in the summer I was told the agency was receiving £7.50 per hour for my work whereas I was only getting paid £5 per hour. They were taking away a third of my wage. Its where all these agencies make their money from.

So you`re saying that you got 5 pounds and they got 2.50p, which isn`t bad cos out of that they got to match your national insurance contributions and then pay their bills and staff costs on 2.50p which isn`t a lot. if you were getting 20 quid an hour and they got 10 then it would be a different stroy but 2.50 aint that much for an agency
    They were taking away a third of my wage. Its where all these agencies make their money from.

They're not taking away a third of your wage, as the agency is the entity that employs you.
    So £5 an hour is your wage ;)
    bad seed wrote:
    They're not taking away a third of your wage, as the agency is the entity that employs you.
    So £5 an hour is your wage ;)

Which is exactly the point.

Agencies operate by providing an employment service to a company- tax, personnel, everything. The company pays for the service, and the agency provides one of its employees to fulfil that service.

Yeah, they're thieving bastards, but they're not strictly scamming the employee, though they do take advantage. If you don't like working for a crap wage then temping agencies aren't for you.
    I enquired into my local catering personnel place, and for my job I could get 13 quid an hour working for an agency. Cannot imagine how much the employers would be having to pay the agencies for that!!
    Kermit wrote:
    If you don't like working for a crap wage then temping agencies aren't for you.

Although I found out that for one of my previous temping jobs, I was actually getting paid a higher wage than the companies permanent members of staff who were doing more skilled jobs than me...needless to say I learnt to keep my mouth shut about my wage after that.