Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

baby cooing banned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/4284522.stm

wow, political correctness gone wrong!!!!

thoughts folks? :confused: :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Surely baby cooing hasits benefits in society as well? admiring children for young women brings on a sense of broodiness and may in itself lead to population growth- essential for the survival of the species.

Or perhaps the fuss a baby gets from all walks of life is an essential learning process. babys have been the center of attention our whole existence, might this increase the danger of neglect, especially with decling hospital staff???
  • Options
    My wife hates it if people she doesnt know coo over her baby. In hospitals there is the posibility of the baby being snatched or catching infection. I know babies are cute but they are humans not toys. My wife also hates people staring and cooing over her pregnancy bump. She finds it irratating.....
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Maffy wrote:
    My wife hates it if people she doesnt know coo over her baby. In hospitals there is the posibility of the baby being snatched or catching infection. I know babies are cute but they are humans not toys. My wife also hates people staring and cooing over her pregnancy bump. She finds it irratating.....

I can understand that, it'd start to sod you off random strangers doing that. Bit crrepy too. I can aslo understand the infection risk. I suppose they also look at it from the viewpoint that, its like some sick tourist attraction... go look at other peoples kids!!
  • Options
    I dont think its all that radical. There was a similar rule in place at the special care unit where my son was 4 years ago. Dont go cooing over other peoples babies and no touching babies if you hadnt washed your hands.
  • Options
    01j01 wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/4284522.stm

What do you mean political correctness?

As for the case, I'm not sure I would want strangers in a hospital putting their grubby hands all over my baby either.
  • Options
    Phew.... I thought I was going to get stick after that comment!
  • Options
    well shouldn't it be up to the parents who see's the baby and who doesn't? i probably would find it irritating if a person stopped me in the street to coo over my baby
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well shouldn't it be up to the parents who see's the baby and who doesn't? i probably would find it irritating if a person stopped me in the street to coo over my baby
    theyre not banning it in general. Its only in the hospital, to stop people spreading infection to vulnerable newborns and probably partly for privacy reasons.
  • Options
    theyre not banning it in general. Its only in the hospital, to stop people spreading infection to vulnerable newborns and probably partly for privacy reasons.
    so who can and cant see the babies in hospital?
  • Options
    01j01 wrote:

I'd much rather see a thread like this and several articles bemoaning the "madness" attached than see a single child get infected with MRSA because some arse thought it would be a good idea to touch the baby.

The human rights aspect is bogus. Infection control is reason enough. Tell me, why should anyone other than family/clinicians get close to a child in hospital.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    so who can and cant see the babies in hospital?
    the parents, relatives and visitors to that particular child.
    People who are visiting other people will not be able to go and coo over other peoples babies or ask questions unless specificlly invited. At least thats how it was at my hospital.
  • Options
    I'd much rather see a thread like this and several articles bemoaning the "madness" attached than see a single child get infected with MRSA because some arse thought it would be a good idea to touch the baby.

If they presented it as a health issue I'd have more sympathy, but they presented it as babies being little people who have the right not to be cooed at.
    Debbie Lawson, neo-natal manager at the hospital's special care baby unit, said: "Cooing should be a thing of the past because these are little people with the same rights as you or me.

Certainly when my two were in hospital I'm pretty sure they were too young to worry about being cooed over or not, and both me and wife were/are more than happy for people to coo over them and say how pretty they look.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    If they presented it as a health issue I'd have more sympathy, but they presented it as babies being little people who have the right not to be cooed at.

I wouldn't argue with that. Like I said human rights is bogus and I cannot for the life of me understand why it has even been mentioned.

But it's worth noting that the Trust also said "Infection control was also a key part of the message as the unit deals with very small babies with very vulnerable immune systems."

Why they couldn't leave it at that, I don't know. Sometimes NHS Managers make me want to scream.
  • Options
    I wouldn't argue with that. Like I said human rights is bogus and I cannot for the life of me understand why it has even been mentioned.

QUOTE]

A fine example from me of why its sometimes best to also read the second para of people's messages before sounding off :o

Sorry
  • Options
    the parents, relatives and visitors to that particular child.
    People who are visiting other people will not be able to go and coo over other peoples babies or ask questions unless specificlly invited. At least thats how it was at my hospital.
    thats how it should be anyway
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    thats how it should be anyway
    Exactly. Thats why I dont see the big deal.
    When my baby was in SCBU though it was so tempting to go and look at other peoples babies, and ask questions about them, but we werent supposed to.
    My aunt got told off a couple of times for being too nosy about other peoples little prem babies.