Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

favorite BBC comedy?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm just curious about this, the BBC over the years have produced some absolutely fantastic comedys and i'm just wondering as to what peoples favorite BBC comedy is.

For me it has to be not the nine o clock news, absolutely fantastic program, so damn funny, always has laughing so much, rowan atkinson at his best imo.

anyway, whats your favorite BBC comedy? ;D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Fast Show. Or Faulty Towers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm Alan Partridge...clearly a winner
    Fawlty Towers. Or Only Fools & Horses.
    Only Fools and Horses.
    two pints of lager n a packet of crisps! or league of gentlemen
    Blackadder.
    So many quality ones to speak of but the best recent one has been The Smoking Room. Absolutely fantastic.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Infinite wrote:
    Blackadder.
    That too. And Two Pints.

Oooh! Tooo many!!!!
    I'm going to have to go with 'That Mitchell and Webb Sound' on radio 4, true genius.

Either that or 'Ianucci's Charm Offensive' also on radio 4, its a shame they cut out the rape gags, they were really funny.
    Id have to say Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister

Definatly the cleverest comedy the BBC has produced, mayde Blackadder is funnier, or the Young Ones that was good.
    My family is a killer, never fails to make me laugh, especially the eldest son.
    Iluv2party wrote:
    My family is a killer, never fails to make me laugh, especially the eldest son.

Have you seen 'My Life in Film' it has him in and its much better.
    So many quality ones to speak of but the best recent one has been The Smoking Room. Absolutely fantastic.

I missed that. What is it like Thundesrtruck. My acting friend Fraser Ayre's was in it. He does lots of bits and pieces for teh BBC - like an Incare two-parter with Billy Piper where he played this boy who kinda hater because he couldn't have her, so was always grassing her up and getting her into trouble.

One foot in the grave BBC1 is mine but really I find BBC so unfunny...apart from Gimme Gimme Gimme BBC2.

Channel4 is far better for comedy - Bremner, Bird and Fortune and Green Wing - my life's on hold until that programme gets recomissioned. Hurry up C4!! :hyper:
    My faverite Quote from Yes Priminister to show how you can get surveys to show the answer you want.

Sir Humphrey: "You know what happens: nice young lady comes up to you. Obviously you want to create a good impression, you don't want to look a fool, do you? So she starts asking you some questions: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Yes"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our Comprehensive schools?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think young people welcome some authority and leadership in their lives?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think they respond to a challenge?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Oh...well, I suppose I might be."
    Sir Humphrey: "Yes or no?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Of course you would, Bernard. After all you told you can't say no to that. So they don't mention the first five questions and they publish the last one."
    Bernard Woolley: "Is that really what they do?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Well, not the reputable ones no, but there aren't many of those. So alternatively the young lady can get the opposite result."
    Bernard Woolley: "How?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the growth of armaments?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think it is wrong to force people to take up arms against their will?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you oppose the reintroduction of National Service?"
    Sir Humphrey: "There you are, you see Bernard. The perfect balanced sample."
    My faverite Quote from Yes Priminister to show how you can get surveys to show the answer you want.

Sir Humphrey: "You know what happens: nice young lady comes up to you. Obviously you want to create a good impression, you don't want to look a fool, do you? So she starts asking you some questions: Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the number of young people without jobs?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the rise in crime among teenagers?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a lack of discipline in our Comprehensive schools?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think young people welcome some authority and leadership in their lives?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think they respond to a challenge?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you be in favour of reintroducing National Service?"
    Bernard Woolley: "Oh...well, I suppose I might be."
    Sir Humphrey: "Yes or no?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Of course you would, Bernard. After all you told you can't say no to that. So they don't mention the first five questions and they publish the last one."
    Bernard Woolley: "Is that really what they do?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Well, not the reputable ones no, but there aren't many of those. So alternatively the young lady can get the opposite result."
    Bernard Woolley: "How?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Mr. Woolley, are you worried about the danger of war?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Are you worried about the growth of armaments?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think there is a danger in giving young people guns and teaching them how to kill?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Do you think it is wrong to force people to take up arms against their will?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Would you oppose the reintroduction of National Service?"
    Sir Humphrey: "There you are, you see Bernard. The perfect balanced sample."

Thats not really a quote. A bit long for a quote.

Two Pints of Lager (which is having its sixth series shot soon YIPPEE after out rating little britain)
    And it's not a quote because there is no such noun as 'quote'. Sorry to be a grammar nazi now but I really fucking hate it when people say quote when they really mean quotation.
    Ok rant over.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fawlty Towers.
    Gotta be I'm Alan partridge for me, i watch em constantly over and over and never fail to make me laugh my face off. great stuff.

cant wait for the partridge movie.
    The League of Gentlemen/MITM/Two Pints Of Lager/certain parts of Little Britain. Did anyone see TittyBangBang on BBC3?

I'm not sure if I prefer C4.... Black Books, Pheonix Nights, Max & Paddy, Garth Marenghi's Dark Place and Green Wing were good... but I hate all those comedy game-shows/chat-shows they keep booking, like 8 Out of 10 Cats and Balls of Steel. Or that one with Jimmy Carr not so long ago. I just switch them off.

OMG nearly forgot The Mighty Boosh. Now thats a winner.
    15 Storeys High
    red dwarf all the way
    has to be the office for me, gervais and martin freeman are so damn funny! also- the smoking room :)
    I don't and haven't really ever watched that much comedy on BBC1.

I'll watch Only Fools and Horses, My Family, The Office, Two pints..

Not much of it really. I've never really been into stuff like fawlty towers, black adder etc.

Oooo and when I'm at my most bored, " Last of the summer wine"

Lol.
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Red Dwarf
    i'm quite a big fan of one foot in the grave too, richard wilson really does make me laugh ;D
    Blackadder, Monty Python, Red Dwarf, Bottom... the list goes on...
    The Smoking Room is a winner with me.

I also enjoyed Extras and Catherine Tate.

Going back a few years... I'm Alan Partridge, Only Fools and Horses and Not the Nine O'clock news.
    I used to love Red Dwarf on a friday when I was a kid, but I remember watching it again when the BBC repeated the earlier series and being really disappointed. It just wasn't funny at all, just cheap gags between them all.

I'd say the best has been the League of Gentlemen, series one and two particularly.
    I used to love Red Dwarf on a friday when I was a kid, but I remember watching it again when the BBC repeated the earlier series and being really disappointed. It just wasn't funny at all, just cheap gags between them all.
    Yeah my best mate loves Red Dwarf... I've never seen anything so nerdy and unfunny in my whole life.
    Yeah my best mate loves Red Dwarf... I've never seen anything so nerdy and unfunny in my whole life.

I think the first couple were funny, the most recient one with the crew reinstated on the ship was painfully unfunny.

The one where theres the emotion sucking monster, was the funniest when Rimmer gets his anger removed and Lister his fear.