Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Interesting article

Here's an interesting little article by John Simpson about the futility of the Drug War if you fancy a read;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4282306.stm
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    What a great article, I hope that idea gets a good airing, so there is some discussion about how to regulate trade in drugs without necessarily legalising them. Cheers Bong!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Obviously it has its drawbacks, because there would still be a market here for heroin the amount made for the blackmarket probably wouldnt decrease. But it would allow Afghans to make some legit money.

Then if we put heroin on script things might actually improve.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    The danger is that people may see this as a first step to legalisation, whereas I think the best chance for this idea is to be taken in its own right as a seperate issue. Chances of that happening are pretty slim though...
  • Options
    And of course it could be difficult for some of the money not to go to Warlords and the like, but I'm sure you could arrange collectives, hell maybe even fair trade groups, making sure farmers get a fair price for their opium.
  • Options
    legalise.
  • Options
    Well if it ends up happening it's a step in the right direction.
    I can only see drugs becoming more legalised as the years go on to be honest coz the authorites will just come to a point were they all realise there actually is no war, and if there is then the people on drugs are winning it without even having to fight!
  • Options
    legalise.

Nah, just put heroin on script, like it used to be.

Addicts have a medical problem, they should be dealt with by doctors, not by Police.