Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does the instatute where you study matter alot,or is it the qualification that counts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Does the instatute where you study matter alot,or is it the qualification that counts. in the real world would a young student studying a degree at a university have a better chance over someone who studied a degree at a local college?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heres a secret. Employers don't know an awful lot about education. I worked at a big firm once that took me on and later admited they didnt know the difference between a 1st and a 3rd. If thats not worrying I dont know what is! The truth is employers look for experience above all else. You have just as much chance not even getting a degree as you do with getting one so long as you are willing to put in 3 years more effort in the workplace.

From the looks of things as more and more people enter the higher education system a degree will matter less and less as they become as common as a bus-pass. So if you thinking of going to Uni yes, go to a good name, why not? That is if you really think your better off spending £14,000 than earning £14,000 every year until you the graduates join you on the same wage.

I know i'll still be paying these debts when I'm thirty.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes and no.

It matters if you want to work for certain investment banks, law firms and the like or if you want to go on and get a Masters/PHD.

It also matters if you go to Scumbag College, Scumborough, a place with an obviously crap reputation.

It does not matter for the 90% of Universities between the very top and the very bottom.

And yes, what you come out with does matter, anything below a 2.1 makes things harder.