Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rita

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you lot think will be the political and environmental rammifications after hurrican rita strikes?

Personally I think something has to be done over climate change and global warning, especially since there's more than likely a link between the two, America and other countries joining the Kyoto Protocol will help, not sure if it's enough though.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Recession, if not depression muct follow this.

Last time the oil was hit, this time it's going to be another set of refineries. they are estimated to be down for a few months and according to my investment guy, the scoop is that it's gonna be $5-6 gas in the US by year end.

Also their natural gas lines are going to be hit and that souce of energy is going to hike in price, and along with those two and the subsequent insurance payout, the "world's greatest economy" is going to fall flat on it's ass for a year or two.

In the face of this, the chance of the US adding to their fuel and industry costs by following green policies is nil.

The war in Iraq etc still needs paying for and so the US "government" will continue apace it's rollback of civil liberties etc, in order to maximise it's revenue gathering, so we will be following that trend over here I would imagine.

Interest rates will rise in the next few weeks, first at the fed and then all over the globe. This won't work though, so another hike will follow shortly.

If you have a mortgage or a credit card, good luck to you over the next year or two.
    I don't need a credit card..I've got a life :yes:
    to late.
    if every man woman and child on the planet signs up ...to late.
    signing up isn't flicking a switch that will stop global warming.
    the damage is done ...the balance has been tipped.
    some people will point out that over the centuries the global temperature has fluctuated a lot.
    for instance ...in the UK there were once hippos and tropical plants.
    only three or four generations ago ...the river thames would freeze every winter to the point where you could have bonfire parties on it but ...
    pouring billions upon billions of tons of crap into the atmosphere over the last few generations ...has to have an effect.
    changing our behaviour next week on a global scale will change nothing for a very long time.
    to late.
    if every man woman and child on the planet signs up ...to late.
    signing up isn't flicking a switch that will stop global warming.
    the damage is done ...the balance has been tipped.
    some people will point out that over the centuries the global temperature has fluctuated a lot.
    for instance ...in the UK there were once hippos and tropical plants.
    only three or four generations ago ...the river thames would freeze every winter to the point where you could have bonfire parties on it but ...
    pouring billions upon billions of tons of crap into the atmosphere over the last few generations ...has to have an effect.
    changing our behaviour next week on a global scale will change nothing for a very long time.

theres a really interesting exhibition in Birminghams victoria square to raise awareness of the trouble humans have caused. it says something like "if the whole history of earth was crammed into 24 hours, humans have only been around 15minutes and have caused enough damage in 30 seconds to eventually wipe out the previous 23 hours 59mins and 30seconds" or something along those lines.
    how do you repair a mechanism as complicated as the planets atmosphere ...and oceans ...when our understanding of them is still very basic?
    klintock wrote:
    If you have a mortgage or a credit card, good luck to you over the next year or two.
    fuck that would be my dad :nervous: