Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Need a new job desperatly.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well ive tried looking for a new job with agencies. Im lucky if i can even talk to them once a month let alone hearing anything from any of them. Apparently they are sending my cv off but i never hear anything else from them even when i do speak to them about it.

So ive spent the last week or so calling a bunch of companies with most not even telling me they recieved my cv fine, let alone a 'sorry we got no jobs etc'.

So what now, im desperate to get a new job and move but the agencies dont seem to be doing sod all for me, and calling companies has resulted in nothing too! I cant go knocking on their doors either due to me working full time and where i want my new job to be.

Ive been applying for graphic designers/ artwork type of jobs along with jobs in the gaming industry. I know quark, 3dsmax, photoshop, flash, html and currently do leaflets and advertising for my current employeer. But what can i do now, what other jobs can i apply to with these types of skills, even if it isnt a creative one but something that isnt warehouse for example. I havent even been offered one sodding interview yet which pisses me off more than anything. So where to apply for now, what type of jobs or what else can i do? I need major advice and help.

Comments

• Options
    well do you have the relevant experience/qualifications? also there's often the need with agencies to remind them that you're there. i.e. ring and say you're still looking for work and has anything come up. you might find that you need to hassle them a bit. i registered at an agency but never heard anything back but then turns out i didn't need 'em anyway!
  • Options
    Yeah i have the right experience, otherwise they wouldnt put my cv forward for companies, or so they say.

I do hassel them quite a bit too, around about once a week, but its often hard trying to get a hold of them which bugs me.
  • Options
    I think you are better off working anywhere, even if it is an admin job in an office, at least it's a starting point.
  • Options
    You need to apply for jobs which are actually being advertised not just speculatively sending CV's - so you need to find out where the jobs for your industry are advertised. If you want to do desing then you need to start buying design week, there are also media and new media type jobs in the Guardian one day a week - i'm not sure entirely which though. Also you need to find out where other places where jobs are advertised - i'm guesssing websites and list serves. So it might be worth phoning up a few companies which you like the look of and asking them where they would advertise their jobs.

I think you have to hastle agencies loads - always get them to ask for feed back about you and ask then for advice about weather they really think you've got the right experience for the jobs they are putting you forward for. They could be putting you forward for unsitable jobs just to make up the numbers.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    I think you have to hastle agencies loads - always get them to ask for feed back about you and ask then for advice about weather they really think you've got the right experience for the jobs they are putting you forward for. They could be putting you forward for unsitable jobs just to make up the numbers.

That's true, I remember going for a Store Manager job with Orange via a recruitment agency. I don't know who was more disorganised, Orange or the recruitment agency - it came to nothing because they were noth bysu blaming each other for lack of communication (not from me, I might add). Kind of ironic really.

Someone rang from an agency and tried to get me to go for a Logistics IT role. Odd considering that I have 1 years experience in retail store ops, but none in Logistics/IT whatsoever!
  • Options
    mmmmmmm spam!