Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Foreign money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
When I travel abroad now, wil it be easiest to just have cash or travlers checks? I have a Visa debit/credit card from my bank, then I have a Exxon Mobile Mastercard. (A mastercard that I can use anywhere that accepts but I got thru the gas station) Now will say Ireland accept those credit cards at places? I dont know how the credit card thing goes abroad. Any information? Thanks in advance.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your best option is to take some money and then see if you can use your debit card to withdraw money abroad. You might get charged for this, but you get charged using travellers cheques too.

You could also get money out on your Mastercard but you might get a shite rate and fee's for doing that.
    The thing is though, although my visa is a debit, I never actually use it as a debit. I always credit it. I guess your right, I could withdrawl money, but I would get charged for that because I'm not using my bank. And also, wouldn't the rate be just as shitty if you did that?
    If I use my debit card abroad the rate isnt that bad, not really better or worse than the one you would get with cheques or buying currency.
    i always take enough cash to last me the first day and then just withdraw on my debit cards, cash machines everywhere these days
    koe_182 wrote:
    i always take enough cash to last me the first day and then just withdraw on my debit cards, cash machines everywhere these days

The problem with withdrawling though, is unless I withdraw at my bank I get charged. I get charged at the atm i'm using, then my bank charges me too for not using theirs. So I want to avoid that at all cost.
    oh right, i thought most banks had stopped charging for withdrawels over seas now, i know mine has. in that case, i'd probably take travellers cheques, i wouldnt trust myself with a full holidays worth of cash
    koe_182 wrote:
    oh right, i thought most banks had stopped charging for withdrawels over seas now, i know mine has. in that case, i'd probably take travellers cheques, i wouldnt trust myself with a full holidays worth of cash

Oh you bring up a good point. I assumed that if they charge me at any other atm that isn't theres it would be the same overseas. But I never asked. I should. Thank you! Do atms there charge for cards that isn't from those banks? (there being do you know of any in general)
    Set up a direct debit on your credit card before you go then use that where you can eg hotels, restaurants. If you need cash, you can use credit and debit cards to withdraw. The availability of ATMs varies in different countries. Also credit cards are not always accepted, e.g. in Africa VISA is accepted in larger hotels and banks, but Mastercard isn't.

If I was going somewhere civilised, I'd take a little cash and use my debit card to withdraw cash from a hole in the wall.

Ring up your bank and ask them what's best.
    Most English, and therefore im guessing ireland won't be too different maybe, banks have stopped charging for a withdrawal, whether you bank with them or not. So therefore you'd only likely be charged by your specific bank, and even then there may be different rules for withdrawing abroad. However if you go to an ATM that's not connected to a bank, such as one in a club or amusement arcade or service station, they tend to charge you.
    Where are you going to?
    For travelling to Ireland I would arrange to take a bit of cash for a few days and then probably just take the card. Then I'd either try and get by just using the card and keep the cash for emergencies, or I'd spend the cash and then withdraw some on the card and take the hit for the percentage.

Generally I'd only take travellers cheques if I didn't feel all that certain about the kind of place I was going to, or if it was recommended by a guide book.
    Most English, and therefore im guessing ireland won't be too different maybe, banks have stopped charging for a withdrawal, whether you bank with them or not. So therefore you'd only likely be charged by your specific bank, and even then there may be different rules for withdrawing abroad. However if you go to an ATM that's not connected to a bank, such as one in a club or amusement arcade or service station, they tend to charge you.
    Your bank will still charge you a service charge for getting out forgien money.
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Yep i said that lady :p
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Not if you bank with Nationwide.

Another option is getting a travellers cheques card.
    Trout wrote:
    Not if you bank with Nationwide.
    Really?

One thing I don't understand is how HSBC- the "world's local bank"- can justify charging for withdrawing money abroad but in other branches of HSBC... seems to take the piss.