Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Failed my first year at uni

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Got a letter today that told me that due to me failing *two* pieces of work i now will spend the next year retaking the two modules that the failed pieces of work caused me to fail. I'll only be in uni part time.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else? I'm completely gutted and so worried about what my parents are going to say, they'll just think im useless and wasting money.

Does anyone know how being a part time student will affect things such as my loan or taxes?

The letter my uni sent me was so vague, hardly told me anything.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i had to do that last year, i got the full loan but im not sure if that was just because i didnt tell the student loan company (i had already signed the contract for my house so needed the money) your tuition fees will be cut because you pay by the module, i have no idea about your tax's sorry.
    you will have to pay your tuition fees in full yourself.
    a lot depends on your LEA tbh. some LEAs will say that if your course is full time you should be entitled to a student loan whether you enrol for less than 100/120 credits or not; but some will say that if you re register as a part time student and therefore change your mode of study to PT, you'll only be entitled to a part time student loan which is something like £500./yr.
    tbh though if you are only PT, you can get a lot of PT work done alongside your studies anyway so financially you should be okay... whatever happens. :)
    I'm sorry to hear that. Its so unfair when it happens to people that really put the effort into Uni. Those that drink there way through the first year deserve to fail. If it makes you feel any better I had a module in my first year on Semiotics. Now I've graduated and that word is still beyond me. Nothing I have done before or since has been as hard. Also this part-time work may give the chance to earn some money so that you might not need a loan in your final years!!